• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Ducati Juliet Gen Questions

Fresh

I should Work at Oakley
Mexico City
While talking to saulsaul about a trade we made, we began to wonder ho can we tell the gen of a Ducati Juliet. In this case the frame mentioned is an XMetal finish with the following serial: DUCATI008778
According to what SaulSaul and I know, the XM finish means it was either 1st or 2nd gen, but we have no way of being entierly sure which one it is, so would you guys have any insight on this? Any help is gladly appreciated.
BTW we also heard that the XM finish were much more limited, something around only 2000 made, I think this is wrong since my serial is up in the 8 thousands, but please correct me if I'm wrong.
Thanks

5.jpg

Afaik the XM Ducati are from the 2003/2004 period so if by gen you are meaning the plasma specific ######, ######A , ######B serials then its probably more around 3rd gen than 1st gen in that timeline.

O-Review would class yours as a Ducati 1st gen (continuation) as it has the extra digits and the switch to Carbon as the start of the 2nd gen.

Afaik the XM Ducati are from the 2003/2004 period so if by gen you are meaning the plasma specific ######, ######A , ######B serials then its probably more around 3rd gen than 1st gen in that timeline.

O-Review would class yours as a Ducati 1st gen (continuation) as it has the extra digits and the switch to Carbon as the start of the 2nd gen.
Thanks for the info. Just wondering what does the "continuation" means? Regular Juliet serials are much simpler as you stated with the As and Bs, the Ducatis ar estill a bit weird for me to understand. Could you attach the o-review address where you found that my model would be a 1st gen continuation
Thanks

I don't think the o-review links work on here but it's on the serial list page.
The first XM Ducati had four digits and the later 6 digits and o-review class those as the continuation

Just found it in O-Review. Seems something like the Romeo Jordan serials, if you've got XM finish with only 4 digits then it is a true 1st gen, if you get XM finifh with 6 digits then it is a 1st gen continuation. It's funny how this works
DUCATI####
X-Metal / Black Ducati Juliet
1st Generation

DUCATI######
X-Metal / Black Ducati Juliet
1st Generation (continuation)

DUCATI#####
Carbon / Black Ducati Juliet
2nd Generation

DUCATI######
Carbon / Black Ducati Juliet
2nd generation (continuation)

"Generation" is another one of terms made up by collectors so it means different things to different people. Theoretically it used to mean any changes or updates to the coatings on the frames, which is where the A, B, etc. prefixes come from....Oakley wanted a way to keep track of how its updated coatings were surviving so they put a post fix on it to mark any warranty claim. These days many collectors have come to believe that any changes in the serials (whether it is a change in the number of digits, the complete removal of serial numbers, or the addition of frame sizing etchings onto the frame) would denote a new generation. IMO your Ducati is a "first generation" since they didn't really update the quality of it. Some others would call it 2nd gen since it is had a change in serial numbers. Others would call it 3rd gen frame since it would have been release around the time the 3rd gen plasma, 24k XX and TiO2 would have existed.

There were many more than 2000 made.

"Generation" is another one of terms made up by collectors so it means different things to different people. Theoretically it used to mean any changes or updates to the coatings on the frames, which is where the A, B, etc. prefixes come from....Oakley wanted a way to keep track of how its updated coatings were surviving so they put a post fix on it to mark any warranty claim. These days many collectors have come to believe that any changes in the serials (whether it is a change in the number of digits, the complete removal of serial numbers, or the addition of frame sizing etchings onto the frame) would denote a new generation. IMO your Ducati is a "first generation" since they didn't really update the quality of it. Some others would call it 2nd gen since it is had a change in serial numbers. Others would call it 3rd gen frame since it would have been release around the time the 3rd gen plasma, 24k XX and TiO2 would have existed.

There were many more than 2000 made.

Agree! I personally use the term generation when there is difference between 1 to 2. of the same colorway. i can only use that example for xmetals as that is what I know.

xmetal ducati JU has only "one gen" since there were no changes besides the serilal going from 4 to 6.

carbon ducati JU has 2 gens, as the first had serial numbers and the 2nd dont (is there a 3rd? sku engraved? i dont remember)

Different example:

xmetal/BI R1s (non "Jordan") 1st gen have the square stems, later "2nd gen" have rounded stems

TI/Gold R1s - 1st gen have the rough finish and the 2nd gen have the smooth almost identical to plasma finish.

make sense?

Latest Posts

Back