• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Durable?

PostmanRP

Oakley Beginner
Okeechobee
What's everyone's experience with the durability of O matter frames, specifically the hinges? I'm wondering if they would wear out quickly from opening and closing to put in a case.

What's everyone's experience with the durability of O matter frames, specifically the hinges? I'm wondering if they would wear out quickly from opening and closing to put in a case.
I've been using Four S for daily wear almost 10 years - switching between 2 frames. Hinges on both are still in good shape with a fair bit of resistance.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have a pair of Fives Squared that are 4 years old. 2 years ago, they fell off my head and got jammed in a steel door/frame, were twisted, and when I pulled them out they snapped back into shape. That door would have definitely broken my finger, but couldnt break that frame.

Couple things- first I think it varies based on the frame and therefore the design and second I think it depends on the generation of O-Matter. O matter from earlier in Oakley's existence tends to hold up better IMO.

Now, with that said? Personally? I NEVER...never never EVER fold my hinges on ANY pair of sunglasses. Doesn't matter how durable you think something might be, fact is friction of any king = wear and the less wear the better. Wires and X Metals wear out to the extent they do and need washers and tightening (if possible, often it's not) and O-Matter? I can sense a difference in tension and fit after several openings and closings and I once had a test pair of Fuel Cells I opened and closed probably 100 times over a 6 month period and the arms were flopping loose and free at the end of that test.

But that's me and I tend to be somewhat....OCD in that regard. But...that OCD means my pairs are factory tight after years AND I've never needed my X-Metals to have a tune up because not only do I not fold earstems, I put on and remove them like goggles reducing the flex. So being OCD has its benefits.

You'll have a better chance of breaking the frame than wearing out the hinges. I've had my Dispatch and Eyepatch 2 snap out of place, but they snapped back on with ease.

Sent from Q's Note5

The only issue I've had is with a recent issue Scalpel, whose arms from new, rattle like a box o'rocks.
No problems with anything prior to 2006, but I have read that some of the earliest O Matter (Trenchcoat, Eye Jacket) is brittle and, with age, can break.

My beater Flaks are quite loose in the arms when folded, but once opened they're tight. A bigger problem is the lenses are loose from changing them too many times. I now just leave one set of gray lenses in all the time, and bought a new Radar to permanently host a HI Persimmon lens.

Also have a pair of original XX (o-matter) that are very very floppy in the arms, but it isn't a problem while wearing them.

I'm short, yes the hinges will wear out eventually.

My beater Flaks are quite loose in the arms when folded, but once opened they're tight. A bigger problem is the lenses are loose from changing them too many times. I now just leave one set of gray lenses in all the time, and bought a new Radar to permanently host a HI Persimmon lens.

Also have a pair of original XX (o-matter) that are very very floppy in the arms, but it isn't a problem while wearing them.

I'm short, yes the hinges will wear out eventually.
You're short? o_O

Latest Posts

Back