• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Dutyfreeisland website legit?

why is their stuff so cheap?

Duty can be applied in two ways, typically. A retailer can build the charges into their price, and be listed as an import/export retailer. The retailer pays the duty, and simply charges you more to recover these costs. This is the most common business practice because it's convenient for customers, as they see the price upfront.

The second way is for a company to list YOU (the customer) as the importer. This means the customs authority in your country imposes the duty charges, and holds your package until these fees are resolved. Your transaction with the retailer is done, and then you have a secondary transaction with customs (or an authorized delivery agent) and pay the duty to them yourself.

There are a few ways around this, but doing things like failing to properly label a package, or to undervalue its contents is illegal. Customs agents quickly get to know websites or retailers that are known to try and dodge the system, and proceed accordingly to fine them, or they just straight up open your package to confirm their suspicions.

A duty free store is an exception to these laws. I guarantee you, no website qualifies for these exemptions. While what I suspect this website is doing it not illegal, it is deceitful at best.

Has anybody ordered from them before? why is their stuff so cheap?

I looked at the site and the prices are decent, not super cheap. If anything they have prices comparable to 6pm.com, Jomashop and some ebay sellers.

Nothing outstanding.

I stop as soon as I read that the only address is a P.O. Box in Hong Kong:

Latest Posts

Back