• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Ear Sock/ General Rubber Preservation

Hero1172

Oakley Expert
Premium Member
New Mexico
Just curious if anyone has put to the test what deteriorates unobtanium the most over time (moisture/oil/perspiration/etc). And what is the most recommended method of preserving unobtanium? I have some vintage O-matter frames and some Ear Socks etc in storage that I don’t want deteriorating without use.

Best,

In my experience, Unobtainium breaks down more rapidly if you use it and don’t clean it with mild soap and warm water on a regular basis. The oils absorbed by the rubber start to seap out over time making it sticky/tacky. Whether you use it or not, cleaning it every so often really prolongs the life of the Unobtainium. Nothing lasts forever, especially if it’s not cared for.

In my experience, Unobtainium breaks down more rapidly if you use it and don’t clean it with mild soap and warm water on a regular basis. The oils absorbed by the rubber start to seap out over time making it sticky/tacky. Whether you use it or not, cleaning it every so often really prolongs the life of the Unobtainium. Nothing lasts forever, especially if it’s not cared for.
Awesome insight! Thank you!

I've had some luck putting old, greasy socks into a ziplock bag with corn starch after washing/drying them with mild soap. After a couple days, pull them out and dust them off. The general idea is to "suck" the moisture out of the pores of the unobtainium/silicone.

I've had some luck putting old, greasy socks into a ziplock bag with corn starch after washing/drying them with mild soap. After a couple days, pull them out and dust them off. The general idea is to "suck" the moisture out of the pores of the unobtainium/silicone.
Great idea! I have some candidate ear socks I can try this on thanks!

Back