• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Early Ebay bidding on X-metals

David_Oakley

I should Work at Oakley
Houston, TX
To preface, I realize the discussion I'm initiating here is a general topic, but I will apply it to X-metals for the sake of inclusion in this forum and the fact that X-metals are exclusively what I ever search and buy off ebay.

Having said that, I just don't understand why bidders on an X-metal (for example) bid early. It's not a new concept that early bidding drives the price higher.

It would serve EVERYONE'S best interest to watch the auction when it's posted and then "Snipe" or bid on the X-metal at the last minute before it ends. This would give any bidder the best chance at winning that auction at the lowest price possible, which is the consensus goal correct?

It's a bit annoying when an x-metal is listed and I know a ton of people (myself included) are watching it. Then someone always has to put a first bid in early on. Can anyone explain a legitimate reason for a person to bid early?

To preface, I realize the discussion I'm initiating here is a general topic, but I will apply it to X-metals for the sake of inclusion in this forum and the fact that X-metals are exclusively what I ever search and buy off ebay.

Having said that, I just don't understand why bidders on an X-metal (for example) bid early. It's not a new concept that early bidding drives the price higher.

It would serve EVERYONE'S best interest to watch the auction when it's posted and then "Snipe" or bid on the X-metal at the last minute before it ends. This would give any bidder the best chance at winning that auction at the lowest price possible, which is the consensus goal correct?

It's a bit annoying when an x-metal is listed and I know a ton of people (myself included) are watching it. Then someone always has to put a first bid in early on. Can anyone explain a legitimate reason for a person to bid early?
Maybe they want the alerts when they get outbid so they don't forget?

Real reason? Because they're dumbasses.

Bullshit reason? There's a strategy of going through and placing low bids on a number of similar items, playing the numbers game that sooner or later one will make it through to the end without competing bids and the buyer scores a great deal. It's a long game that works better with some kinds of items than others.

But most are just dumbasses who don't know how to play the ebay game.

For me sniping is the only way to go.

Maybe they want the alerts when they get outbid so they don't forget?

Well, that's a possibility. But every one has a max price in mind prior to buying anything. That ceiling can be put in at the last minute for auto-bidding to ensue.

If they get outbid, it's ok (at least for me) because it would mean the winning bidder won the auction at a higher price than I (or a person) am wanting to pay anyways.

Well, that's a possibility. But every one has a max price in mind prior to buying anything. That ceiling can be put in at the last minute for auto-bidding to ensue.

If they get outbid, it's ok (at least for me) because it would mean the winning bidder won the auction at a higher price than I (or a person) am wanting to pay anyways.
True and understandable.

Now with the max prices. Some people are willing to put that in early which I think isn't the smartest.
Then again. If I was bidding on something and I REALLY REALLY wanted it I would make sure I was gonna get that item as I would just bid well above anyone else's max anyway but NOT early. ;)

Real reason? Because they're dumbasses.

Bullshit reason? There's a strategy of going through and placing low bids on a number of similar items, playing the numbers game that sooner or later one will make it through to the end without competing bids and the buyer scores a great deal. It's a long game that works better with some kinds of items than others.

But most are just dumbasses who don't know how to play the ebay game.

For me sniping is the only way to go.

And I guess with the way Ebay is structured, those "numbers game" bidders can just refrain from paying the plethora of other similar ground they covered and just take a slap on the hand (negative feedback) huh? That's terrible...

Also another possibility that just crossed my mind, maybe some of these sellers have buddies under other accounts that intentionally drive up the price early?

And I guess with the way Ebay is structured, those "numbers game" bidders can just refrain from paying the plethora of other similar ground they covered and just take a slap on the hand (negative feedback) huh? That's terrible...

Also another possibility that just crossed my mind, maybe some of these sellers have buddies under other accounts that intentionally drive up the price early?
That too. The driving price up early part

Really it doesn't bother me too much because chances are there'll be other snipers so the early bidding price increase really doesn't matter at the end; you'll be competing against the other snipers' best bids.

What pisses me off about it is when there's a BIN price that gets wiped out by the bid activity. There's been an item before that had a BIN I was willing to pay but it got wiped out by some ******* early low bidder. I think it worked out and I ended up getting it for less than the BIN price but it could have gone the other way.

And perhaps that's another reason people do it, to remove the chance someone could BIN before the auction ends.

True and understandable.

Now with the max prices. Some people are willing to put that in early which I think isn't the smartest.
Then again. If I was bidding on something and I REALLY REALLY wanted it I would make sure I was gonna get that item as I would just bid well above anyone else's max anyway but NOT early. ;)

Exactly. I just don't see any benefit in bidding early.

Really it doesn't bother me too much because chances are there'll be other snipers so the early bidding price increase really doesn't matter at the end; you'll be competing against the other snipers' best bids.

What pisses me off about it is when there's a BIN price that gets wiped out by the bid activity. There's been an item before that had a BIN I was willing to pay but it got wiped out by some ******* early low bidder. I think it worked out and I ended up getting it for less than the BIN price but it could have gone the other way.

And perhaps that's another reason people do it, to remove the chance someone could BIN before the auction ends.

Yeah, I've seen it both ways on BIN listings. Some BIN it now listings still hold up even after bidding has started, while others like you mentioned just wiped out. Is that just a setting?

Back