• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Early Ebay bidding on X-metals

I sometime put in shamelessly low bids on Oakleys and won because no one else put in a bid, but doing so early makes no sense really...

I sometime put in shamelessly low bids on Oakleys and won because no one else put in a bid, but doing so early makes no sense really...

And there is nothing wrong with that. I have the same mindset. Everyone wants a steal or a good deal at least. I perceive the early bidders as the bad seed that ruins it for everyone else interested.

I think the early bidding is pretty dipsh!t also, one reason I thought maybe someone would do it is to "scare off" any bidders who may see the item and want it, but not aggressively enough to snipe. If by bidding right away they are saying "I want this bad and will bid all the way to the end to get it", perhaps? Really the only reason I could come up with that makes any sense.

I personally love when 2 dillholes bid themselves right past the original BIN price! I see cockfights all the time at auto auctions and just stand there and laugh. o_O

I think the early bidding is pretty dipsh!t also, one reason I thought maybe someone would do it is to "scare off" any bidders who may see the item and want it, but not aggressively enough to snipe. If by bidding right away they are saying "I want this bad and will bid all the way to the end to get it", perhaps? Really the only reason I could come up with that makes any sense.

I personally love when 2 dillholes bid themselves right past the original BIN price! I see cockfights all the time at auto auctions and just stand there and laugh. o_O

That's too funny and true.

I've gotten screwed on my last few attempts at sniping with just a few seconds left (which I have done successfully for years). The auction freezes for the entire last minute or so, even for auctions that aren't being slammed with bids at the end.

At the end of the day I don't think early bidding drives the price above the market ceiling. I've seen several auction just recently where I thought an item might close low because there WEREN'T early bids or few and what do you know the sniping last minute drove the price right up to the average closing price range. The only time you really get lucky is if by chance few people noticed the auction it was a quick 1 day or over a holiday - people tend to forget about auctions when they're busy- or auctions closing at odd hours (like 2am PST). Smartphones kind of killed some of the deals becuase you used to have to be parked in front of a PC to win an auction now you don't. But as I said- at the end of the day I think an item will generally sell at its average market price be there early bidding or not. And honestly I can't remember the last time I bought something via an auction listing - most of the real deals are catching just listed low buy it nows

My feeling is that it really doesn't matter much. I have a bit of a laugh at items that suddenly jump in price hugely with 7 days left. Ultimately, with items such as X Metals, it will boil down to what the interested parties are willing to part with. It is a game of chicken played with money. If a bidder feels he is going to get it come what may, then there is no reason why they shouldn't put a large bid in right at the start (that may be the reason for these leaps as two poeplease adopt this approach). Sometimes this may actually deter people and actually keep the price lower. Alternatively constantly outbidding competition by sniping may be the answer, the war of attrition.

It is all tactics and what works one time may not another. It all levels out in the end. If anyone had a sure way of getting bargains I doubt they would be sharing on here lol!

Back