• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Early run Plasma R1 finish?

Hitech Vojtech

I should Work at Oakley
Shanghai,China
Hi guys ,does anyone know if the early Romeo 1 Plasma/fire had shiny plasma frame? (like last gen shiny plasma x metals)
Or was it more Matte silver frame as early run o Juliets(like 1st gen plasma juliets) ?
Many thanks for info

This has been discussed at length before, and although some felt there was a 'bone' white version, no evidence of this was seen. It appeared the confusion lay between the identification of the early Ti Rimeo, which is of a lighter Matt finish, as the early plasma romeo.
In my 10+ years of collecting, I have never come across any of these, and have owned many low plasma serial frames. All have displayed variations in their appearance, but none have been of the rumoured bone finish.
I hope this helps!

This has been discussed at length before, and although some felt there was a 'bone' white version, no evidence of this was seen. It appeared the confusion lay between the identification of the early Ti Rimeo, which is of a lighter Matt finish, as the early plasma romeo.
In my 10+ years of collecting, I have never come across any of these, and have owned many low plasma serial frames. All have displayed variations in their appearance, but none have been of the rumoured bone finish.
I hope this helps!

I have come into posession of a pair that is definitely plasma and is definitely "rougher" more matte like than my earlier plasma frame (new frame is still first gen, higher serial) but smoother and less tan than my definitley less smooth mint 1st gen Ti. I have been dying to take pics but am EXTREMELY busy right now and cant even get in the same room as most my collection. I have a theory that I am developing as to why these "bone" plasmas exist and am working in getting more comparison pics to see...

And the unicorn prances about again!

Sorry for the not so good pics, but it is all i got. Reminiscentof the proof pix of bigfoot and lochness...

Ti front, plasma (rougher/bone) frame only, plasma shiny/jade (back)

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1432633100.206755.jpg

Oh and forgot, i wore them the other day, but doesnt say much without having other frames side by side...

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1432633142.931233.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks sir,Plasma is badass!las gen looks best to me....
I had chance to get full set Plasma 1st run,but the discoloration of the frame really turns e off to buy it...even the price would be good.
I am not sure if the golden-kind of rusty discoloration of the Plasma frame could be polished out......
I guess I will have to wait for some last gen plasma R1 when it appears....Butyour collection is stuning!
I had 2pair so the Ti 1st gen Bone finish,but both of them were so deteriorated,so I had to refinish them in X metal......

I have no idea what early run R1s mean or whatever, but these are mine, I bought them not long after the X-Metals first came out. 6 digit serial 00XXXX. They look pretty darkish to me:

20150427_104740_resized_1_zpsyccywvvv.jpg

IMG_0009_zpsjdzxk06c.jpg

nice! is the finish consistent? it looks like it in person but most times one can tell only in person. .

nice! is the finish consistent? it looks like it in person but most times one can tell only in person. .

Yeah it's pretty consistent as there are no color variations or anything like that. it looks brighter in situations where there are is a lot of light, but otherwise they are fine. I've not had any other pairs of R1s so not sure how plasma varies over the years...

I still feel appearances are deceptive. I've owned many plasmas, early and late and all the finishes do vary. See the photo below of 2 early low digit frames and an A serial to the rear. The frame at the front appears to be of a Matt finish in comparison in the picture and its finish is certainly different to the others, but is still not in the realms of the bone white on the juliet we all know to exist.

null_zps336619bb.jpg

Thanks for pics,I was asking because I saw one early gen R1 plasma with much deteriorating surface ,almost rust like similar as I seen on early gen Juliet plasma....
the last gens seems bit more durable,almost always perfect looking finish ,even after years....