• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Earstem Hinge Tightening...

David_Oakley

I should Work at Oakley
Houston, TX
I did a search on threads related to this topic and found mostly Swapping Earstems. However, my question is a slight tangent from those topics.

Both earstems on one of my daily wear Juliets swings open and close quite freely. There is very little no resistance due to wear and tear. The screws appear to be as "snug" as they can be.

Is this just a matter of me adding new washers to the hinges to give it the factory stiffness again?

Thanks

David

Yes - if the screws are snug, likely the nylon washers wore out. In a pinch (pun intended) you can overtighten the screws to make them more snug but I don't recommend it.

OEM washers have two above / two below. LG replacement washers are thicker so it's one above / one below. As long as it prevents metal rubbing on metal...

I did a search on threads related to this topic and found mostly Swapping Earstems. However, my question is a slight tangent from those topics.

Both earstems on one of my daily wear Juliets swings open and close quite freely. There is very little no resistance due to wear and tear. The screws appear to be as "snug" as they can be.

Is this just a matter of me adding new washers to the hinges to give it the factory stiffness again?

Thanks

David
So....you lost your factory stiffness? :p

Psssttt... @OakleyFrankFMJ

Yes - if the screws are snug, likely the nylon washers wore out. In a pinch (pun intended) you can overtighten the screws to make them more snug but I don't recommend it.

OEM washers have two above / two below. LG replacement washers are thicker so it's one above / one below. As long as it prevents metal rubbing on metal...

Thanks. I've never messed with the earstem hinges before. So first time for everything I guess.

So after adding new washers (say LG), will it have the same feeling as factory tight?

I just noticed today that I have a pair that are the same way. I have never replaced them myself. Are LG washers pretty good or is there another brand that is preferred? Is it a difficult thing do to?

So after adding new washers (say LG), will it have the same feeling as factory tight?

If I recall correctly the x-man uses LG washers when he does tuneups. I've never taken a pair done with them and analyzed side-by-side how they compare to a pair still factory tight, but subjectively they seem as good as.

Are LG washers pretty good or is there another brand that is preferred? Is it a difficult thing do to?

Actually I'm not aware of another brand other than LG. Yes, they do the trick. And yes, replacing them is a major pain in the ass, OEM or LG. There's a thread or two around here with some tips to make it a little easier.

Back