• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Easy LED conversion for Spline case w/o an AC -> DC conversion ($17 total)

This is great information. I bought some of the same LEDs but in the 12v version before reading this post and am going to have to exchange them now.

However, I have a possible issue, when I first got the Spine case all the lights bulbs were burnt out and none of them worked. I bought the LEDs in 12V and they still didn't light up.

Would anyone know how I could go about troubleshooting or fixing the electrical stuff on the case? Thanks for your help.

Would any one be Interested in trading a set of warm LEDs for a set of cool white? I ordered these for my spine case and am not a fan of the cool white in my office. Would prefer the warm.

Or, would anyone be willing to order me a set of the warm and ship them up to me? I had to order the cool white ones from eBay for $50 CDN as amazon won't ship up here :( A bit of a rip off.

Never mind. Seller was willing to exchange :)

This is great information. I bought some of the same LEDs but in the 12v version before reading this post and am going to have to exchange them now.

However, I have a possible issue, when I first got the Spine case all the lights bulbs were burnt out and none of them worked. I bought the LEDs in 12V and they still didn't light up.

Would anyone know how I could go about troubleshooting or fixing the electrical stuff on the case? Thanks for your help.

Get a simple voltage detector. They're cheap and easy to use. You can use it to follow the circuit and find the point of failure, then replace that part.

@kronin323 Sweet, thanks for that information. I'll see if I can pick one up today and give that a try! Hopefully I don't get electrocuted. :unsure: haha

That's one of the things about those voltage detectors, you don't have to make contact with actual voltage-conducting metal surfaces, they can detect voltage through insulation, such as the jacket around wiring...

Just test the detector first on a known live circuit to ensure it's actually working.

That's one of the things about those voltage detectors, you don't have to make contact with actual voltage-conducting metal surfaces, they can detect voltage through insulation, such as the jacket around wiring...

Just test the detector first on a known live circuit to ensure it's actually working.

Yeah, I just YouTubed it and learned about the NCVT. I never knew about them. I've only known about the two pronged ones where you have to contact the live wires. Learn something new every day. :) Thanks again for your help and fast reply.

So I got the NCVT and opened the bottom of the Spine case to find that the power cables were not connected to the plug outlet. I don't know if the white or the black wires are the live and there is a cut green wire I don't know goes where. I've attached a photo, if anybody can help, I would much appreciate it. Thanks!

IMG_0680_zpss5rmvhbq.jpg

Yeah green is the ground; it's a safety thing but not required to make the circuit work.

The black is the hot line and the white is the neutral. Because it's AC, in most cases it'll still work if you get them backwards, but that's also not safe - if you do them backwards, the light socket will still be energized when the light's off and can be a shock hazard when changing bulbs. You can test it with your voltage tester by seeing if there's voltage at the light socket when the light's off.

Last edited:

Latest Posts

Back