• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

EBay buyer wants refund after 58 days

borgs

Oakley Beginner
Hi guys, I was wondering what your thoughts are on this. I sold an item on eBay last Dec 14 2014. It's a rare Lego Star Wars set. Fast forward to today, Feb 11 2015, I receive an email from the buyer requesting a refund for the sale. The actual verbiage used was:

"This item was returned to you...Will you ever be processing the refund?"

This is the first correspondence I received from the person since the sale 2 months ago. This was my reply:

"Please clarify. What do you mean returned? I'm sorry, this message is the first correspondence I received from you since the item was shipped. It came as a surprise actually. Was there something wrong?"

I am totally dumbfounded. What's the best course of action in these situations? Thanks guys.

Hi guys, I was wondering what your thoughts are on this. I sold an item on eBay last Dec 14 2014. It's a rare Lego Star Wars set. Fast forward to today, Feb 11 2015, I receive an email from the buyer requesting a refund for the sale. The actual verbiage used was:

This is the first correspondence I received from the person since the sale 2 months ago. This was my reply:

"Please clarify. What do you mean returned? I'm sorry, this message is the first correspondence I received from you since the item was shipped. It came as a surprise actually. Was there something wrong?"

I am totally dumbfounded. What's the best course of action in these situations? Thanks guys.
Hmmmmmm...... tell the buyer **** off?

No seriously though....he did not contact you at all.....does he even have PROOF of shipping them back to you? Maybe contact eBay and let them know? Crappy thing is they usually side with the buyer too.

If all else fails....tell the buyer **** OFF!. :)

read ebay rules I don't think you can't return an item after 2months of purchase.

Hmmmmmm...... tell the buyer **** off?

No seriously though....he did not contact you at all.....does he even have PROOF of shipping them back to you? Maybe contact eBay and let them know? Crappy thing is they usually side with the buyer too.

If all else fails....tell the buyer **** OFF!. :)

Exactly! that's my initial reaction. I had to step away from my keyboard for a few minutes so I can compose a more appropriate response. Yes, I think I'll give eBay a call just to seek advice. I have never heard of an eBay story where the seller was actually protected so I'll just prepare myself for the inevitable first negative feedback.

read ebay rules I don't think you can't return an item after 2months of purchase.

As far as I know, the dispute period is over. It ends after 45 days of payment. My concern is PayPal. The buyer can file a dispute on PayPal within 180 days of purchase. Imagine that... 180 days. That's half a year to watch out for buyer's remorse. :(

I remember us talking about ebay ethics about a year ago and you were someone who really tried to take care of the customer and do the "right" thing...

First things first, did you post a return policy on the auction?

Second, have you actually received the returned item? Was any package tracking included? If you received it, was it in the same condition as when you sent it out?

There is no way I'd do anything other than tell him to take a flying leap until you receive the return or it can otherwise be proven that you received it. Once that happens, it's up to you whether you want to accommodate or play hard ball. But I certainly wouldn't be bending over backwards to do this guy any favors. IMO.

Exactly! that's my initial reaction. I had to step away from my keyboard for a few minutes so I can compose a more appropriate response. Yes, I think I'll give eBay a call just to seek advice. I have never heard of an eBay story where the seller was actually protected so I'll just prepare myself for the inevitable first negative feedback.

As far as I know, the dispute period is over. It ends after 45 days of payment. My concern is PayPal. The buyer can file a dispute on PayPal within 180 days of purchase. Imagine that... 180 days. That's half a year to watch out for buyer's remorse. :(
whatn180 days that b.s. bro f...uu...kk.. that

I remember us talking about ebay ethics about a year ago and you were someone who really tried to take care of the customer and do the "right" thing...

First things first, did you post a return policy on the auction?

Second, have you actually received the returned item? Was any package tracking included? If you received it, was it in the same condition as when you sent it out?

There is no way I'd do anything other than tell him to take a flying leap until you receive the return or it can otherwise be proven that you received it. Once that happens, it's up to you whether you want to accommodate or play hard ball. But I certainly wouldn't be bending over backwards to do this guy any favors. IMO.
I agree. No bending any which way period!

Pretty sure paypal is 45 days too from memory, but given that the buyer didn't contact you to arrange the return and left it so long it won't go their way. The only way the could possibly win a dispute was if they provide a tracking number that shows you received them.

The fact that the didn't contact you PRIOR to returning the item makes me very suspicious though

Pretty sure paypal is 45 days too from memory, but given that the buyer didn't contact you to arrange the return and left it so long it won't go their way. The only way the could possibly win a dispute was if they provide a tracking number that shows you received them.

The fact that the didn't contact you PRIOR to returning the item makes me very suspicious though
This is correct.

They might side with you. Definitely contact eBay. They can see any correspondance between the parties so they'll know you didn't hear anything about it until now. Like has been mentioned: Did you actually get it back? Was it opened? Tracking info? Considering the person never contacted you to say why it was being returned or even that it WAS being returned, and it's two months later, they'd almost have to side with you.

Back