• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Ebay fakes

Jimbabwe

I’m on a boat
Premium Member
Andros island Bahamas
So I always patrol oil rigs on eBay, and I've been seeing so many fakes. It's a random question, but this got me thinking. Some of them in pictures could come close to actually looking like the real deal, and to people who know enough but not enough to spot a close fake are still able to see through the sticker on the lense wrong box bag, case and etching on lenses, etc.. so my question is, does anyone know why they don't manufacture them without all the obvious signs of a fake?dont get me wrong I'm glad they don't, but what is stopping them? Extremely curious about this

So I always patrol oil rigs on eBay, and I've been seeing so many fakes. It's a random question, but this got me thinking. Some of them in pictures could come close to actually looking like the real deal, and to people who know enough but not enough to spot a close fake are still able to see through the sticker on the lense wrong box bag, case and etching on lenses, etc.. so my question is, does anyone know why they don't manufacture them without all the obvious signs of a fake?dont get me wrong I'm glad they don't, but what is stopping them? Extremely curious about this

It may something to do with copyright and if it looks TOO close to to the real thing they don't stand a chance in the courts.......just my tupence worth.

I figured that might be it. But that seems really redundant being that they have Oakley printed everywhere. The name is just as important as the product, so either flip should be just as bad. I'm pretty stumped and thought it may spark a bit of a conversation.

I figured that might be it. But that seems really redundant being that they have Oakley printed everywhere. The name is just as important as the product, so either flip should be just as bad. I'm pretty stumped and thought it may spark a bit of a conversation.

I do appreciate your reasoning. It has always 'stumped' me too. The Icon on the lens or Text central on the lens shield.............

I like to think the dip-wad that commissioned the fakes was gutted to find he had a non-refundable shipment of 200,000 shades that turned out to be such obvious fakes, they only managed to sell three of 'em...

Or maybe it's something to do with their target market. Like a HUGE asian (not intending to offend anyone from this continent, just hypothersizing )market, where lookalike is better than no looks at all.........

Back