• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

eBay Links in the Exchange?

htrap2294

Clap Guru
Premium Member
San Diego, CA
Just jumping in to say the exchange guidelines allow eBay links. Have seen several members do this before as well. Don't want to derail this thread so Happy to discuss via PM, always open to thoughts.
So people are allowed to bid? There’s no real set price. That’s the main reason why I said the link to sale isn’t allowed. Dude doesn’t have a price, rather is redirecting us to a bidding war.

This is your rule:

2) Need a Price - You must specify a price when selling a good in the Exchange Areas, if you do not specify a price, your thread will be locked

So people are allowed to bid? There’s no real set price. That’s the main reason why I said the link to sale isn’t allowed. Dude doesn’t have a price, rather is redirecting us to a bidding war.

This is your rule:

2) Need a Price - You must specify a price when selling a good in the Exchange Areas, if you do not specify a price, your thread will be locked

The Need a price from my understanding was always because this isn't an auction platform. So you need to set a price. But I don't see any harm in someone being able to post an eBay link here. Nor was this ever against the rules - found posts back to 2011 saying eBay links were fine.

If someone wants an auction, they're going to go to eBay. They aren't going to just not auction it because Oakley Forum says you need a price. They may set a very high price which already happens here. But the bottomline is if they post it to eBay then its a fair auction. And all its doing is allowing the forum to be aware, and still potentially make an offer/negotiate.

As I said in the conversation I don’t believe this sight should be a place to filter advertisements of eBay. Especially in the exchange. If you want to post on the forum maybe create a ebay FST only. But otherwise it kind of skips the point of the forum IMO. He took that item to eBay for a reason if he wants to sell here what’s the point of creating a thread with link to eBay when he could just make his own listing with set price here.

As I said in the conversation I don’t believe this sight should be a place to filter advertisements of eBay. Especially in the exchange. If you want to post on the forum maybe create a ebay FST only. But otherwise it kind of skips the point of the forum IMO. He took that item to eBay for a reason if he wants to sell here what’s the point of creating a thread with link to eBay when he could just make his own listing with set price here.

Interesting idea on the ebay thread. My thing is it could give a member a scoop rather than digging around eBay. I mean people will always post on both. Banning the eBay link doesn't stop someone from posting there. Especially if you want an auction, which this site obviously isn't built for. But if a member wants to take the time to meet exchange guidelines and post their eBay link here, it can at least give a member an in to offer a price or negotiate.

I mean even today we see people say OBO or it's obviously on eBay too, and so they give a very high price. It is what it is, there's no way to police prices, it's just not too different here. Just some thoughts, open to the discussion.

I think add an "ebay exchange " to the exchange section is a good idea and that way people can dump their links on there and not waste everyone's time by hinting in the discussion threads that they are trying to direct people from the threads to their ebay auctions. It might also help the sellers as well as people can comment on their listings about price, condition etc so they don't make arses of themselves in the exchange.

Its impossible to stop people dragging ebay into this forum as even some people who complain about ebay prices are ebay sellers themselves. Nothing wrong with that but I think be easier for all as the people who just join to dump their stuff on ebay can do so with little inconvenience to others and the collectors can use the other exchanges and not have to sift through the overpriced ****

The Need a price from my understanding was always because this isn't an auction platform. So you need to set a price. But I don't see any harm in someone being able to post an eBay link here. Nor was this ever against the rules - found posts back to 2011 saying eBay links were fine.

If someone wants an auction, they're going to go to eBay. They aren't going to just not auction it because Oakley Forum says you need a price. They may set a very high price which already happens here. But the bottomline is if they post it to eBay then its a fair auction. And all its doing is allowing the forum to be aware, and still potentially make an offer/negotiate.
I always thought the “need a price” thing is a rule you came up with because it is your site and you can create the rules within it.

I’d rather not see eBay links in the exchange. It is what it is when it comes to eBay links.

Sellers are often not solely using the forum to peddle their wares. The onus is on the shoppers to get their Best Buy and sellers to get their cash.

I personally think starting a thread for people to add an eBay listing is opening a can of worms, it will end up huge and full of out of date listings, you won't be able to have just one for all glasses never mind all the other items that members may be selling. If the thread gets out of control it is likely to cause a space issue on the server unless you plenty free @OakleyBoss then the complaints will start about how poor the forum is running, how it has started crashing blah, blah, blah..... the way i see it nobody is going to list an item for less on eBay than here due to the added seller fee's so just ban the use of eBay links on the Forum and leave it at that???

Let's take it to a vote?

:behindsofa:

Back