• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Email Notifications For Watched Threads

kronin323

Font of Useless Knowledge
Austin, TX
I don't know if this is a bug or a feature, or even a priority...

I originally had the email notifications for watched threads turned on by default. It got to the point where it was flooding my inbox and was redundant with my attention to the alerts in the browser, so I turned it off.

What happened was the changed setting only went into effect for new watched threads. I still continued to receive email notifications for threads I was already watching. The only way I could stop it was to manually unwatch then rewatch each specific thread.

Again, I don't know if it works like that on purpose for some reason, but personally I would like it if preference changes of that sort were applied to everything, not just new items.

I also prefer to have the alerts on here, but not the emails. The default setting on the forum when replying or starting a thread is to receive alerts, but not emails. But this is overridden by each users own personal preferences.

You can change the preferences here: http://www.oakleyforum.com/account/alert-preferences but it will only work on future threads.

Are you still experiencing this, or have the emails stopped?

I also prefer to have the alerts on here, but not the emails. The default setting on the forum when replying or starting a thread is to receive alerts, but not emails. But this is overridden by each users own personal preferences.

You can change the preferences here: http://www.oakleyforum.com/account/alert-preferences but it will only work on future threads.

Are you still experiencing this, or have the emails stopped?

No, that was my point - when I turned off the preferences setting to receive email notifications, it only affected threads since then. (Maybe I did turn it on when I first started; all I know is I had it on and later turned it off).

For example I watch xmetalmaniac's "The Mad Science Lounge" thread, first started watching it with email notifications on in preferences. I got three email notifications this afternoon about new replies to that thread, even though I turned off email notifications in preferences a month or so ago.

I could fix it by manually unwatching then rewatching the thread; my current preferences would then go into effect for that thread. I'm just saying it'd be nice if I didn't have to.

And how about in the other direction - let's say I decide I now want email notifications again, and enable the setting in preferences. Wouldn't it make sense to automatically start getting notifications on all the threads already being watched?

If this is a big deal then don't worry about it; it's just something I noticed that I didn't know if was by design.

Not a huge deal, but it is odd you started receiving emails for the thread today after disabling it a while ago. We did update the forum today, and its possible it turned that on. Will have to look into that. Sorry about that. I will definitely look at trying to improve the system.

The automatic subscription to every thread I posted in kicked back on for me today as well after disabling it months ago. I just fixed it again, but I'm sure it's happening for a lot of people.

The automatic subscription to every thread I posted in kicked back on for me today as well after disabling it months ago. I just fixed it again, but I'm sure it's happening for a lot of people.

Hmm, with emails or just alerts?

Hmm, with emails or just alerts?
Under the preferences screen in the user control panel, the option "Automatically watch threads that you create or when you reply..." somehow got re-checked today after I disabled it long ago. The sub option "and receive email notifications of replies" didn't reactivate itself though, so I just got a bunch of forum and tapatalk notifications, not actual emails.

Ok, that narrows it down a little more. Seems like the update triggered the database to turn that on. I will have to look into it.

Back