• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Etch Here

lump_a_charcoal

Oakley Beginner
Hey all,

First post, so G'day!

I bought a bulk bunch of new Oakleys off eBay recently, disassembled.

I noticed that some of the lenses have ETCH HERE on the lenses, where the etching should be.

They are genuine Oakleys, from a trusted seller, so I have no doubt that the lenses are also real.

Can anyone suggest how to remove the ETCH HERE? I have tried soap and water already...

Thanks,

L_a_C

Welcome! Hope you stick around :)

As for your question, it would be beneficial for you to post pictures of the part(s) in question.

is the "ETCH HERE" etched in? or is it printed on? Never heard of that before

Hi Guys, thanks for the warm welcome!

I will get a pic tomorrow and post it up, but just for now, the "ETCH HERE" is raised slightly off the surface, it looks like a clear transfer, however it doesn't budge like a transfer would.

Pics are worth a thousand words, so I'll post them up.

Thanks again!

They're likely sample pieces, and the 'Etch Here' is showing where your etchings would go for a custom pair, not instructions for the people who are putting the etching in.

Are they in different fonts? If so I'd definitely go with rep samples or something similar.

OK guys, here are the pics - Sorry, they aren't great.
As for fonts, all are the same font.

I tried to show that it is printed onto the surface, rather than having been etched.

P1010003_zps182198dd.jpg

P1010002_zpsb2186365.jpg

P1010001_zpsbd7db573.jpg

Interesting. Hope you figure out how to remove it. Welcome to the site as well.

Must be demo lenses of some sort. My local O Store has some lenses like this with Etch Here in a couple different fonts. They were using them in a strength display, letting people hit them with hammers and such. My guess is an employee took some to sell.

Back