• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Excellent 60 Minutes Piece On Lux

Oh man lets not fight...whats done is done...I have my feelings but also quite a few good pair...there's really not much to be done bythose that prefer the disappearing styles...I hate to see people curse and battle over pieces of metal or plastic while kids get caught in drivebys,abuse and other tragedies by the minute. Really it will go one way or the other but Jj is not coming back...a sad truth but the way things are

I regularly speak with multiple people from corporate at varying levels of the food chain as well as reps and managers... I read your dissertation and took some of that to my sources… Let’s just say that your source is not with the majority on all the issues you brought up…

First, I mentioned Jim wanting to move on (at some point) to focus on RED. TRUE… But your saying Lux might've bullied Jim a little bit is an understatement… Threatening to pull product from shelves hurts bottom lines and forces hands to be played immediately...

Second, Lux lets them run the show, but they limit the creative process to lifestyle for the masses type glasses… The claim that they almost always have designs planned 5 years ahead is disputed as well, fashion trends change yearly and trying to plan 5 years ahead is a very poor business motto… Styles are getting less aggressive, because of the market and the current trends is a prime example of that...

Third, Im here to tell you that X-Metals are gone is not exactly true either… There are designs already circulating for the next generation of X Metals and yes it might be in the Elite collection. But if/when this happens there is a VERY HIGH likely hood that it will be produced overseas and assembled here…

Last, there are a few new items coming out within the next year one of which sounds more aggressive than anything of recent… I was asked not to mention it by name but I can hint that it’s a 50/50 lens design… No questions please…

My opinion is I love Oakley for what it was. I don’t care for what it is becoming… I choose to buy very few new models because of the lack of effort put forth by this new generation of Lux… Regardless of factors that influenced this, the new regime wants profit margins not cutting edge and this is evident... Globalization of the product has made Lux decide to ditch innovation for quick sales with minimal effort… This will soon fall flat IMO and a once proud brand will become a casualty of the Ray Ban syndrome.

The market was never designed for us is correct, but with Jim at the helm our appetites were satisfied along with the masses… Current releases are not aesthetically pleasing at all to a lot of us, but they are still Oakleys so we should keep buying is BS… I might keep buying, but it will be the good old stuff (Vintage) that I loved for so long about the company… Once that appetite is satisfied I will be stepping away from the table and let me tell you I’m getting pretty full….

Batty this was in no way meant to be condescending of your post, more meant to air the differences in opinions within the company (our sources) and a bit of IMO.

I regularly speak with multiple people from corporate at varying levels of the food chain as well as reps and managers... I read your dissertation and took some of that to my sources… Let’s just say that your source is not with the majority on all the issues you brought up…

First, I mentioned Jim wanting to move on (at some point) to focus on RED. TRUE… But your saying Lux might've bullied Jim a little bit is an understatement… Threatening to pull product from shelves hurts bottom lines and forces hands to be played immediately...

Second, Lux lets them run the show, but they limit the creative process to lifestyle for the masses type glasses… The claim that they almost always have designs planned 5 years ahead is disputed as well, fashion trends change yearly and trying to plan 5 years ahead is a very poor business motto… Styles are getting less aggressive, because of the market and the current trends is a prime example of that...

Third, Im here to tell you that X-Metals are gone is not exactly true either… There are designs already circulating for the next generation of X Metals and yes it might be in the Elite collection. But if/when this happens there is a VERY HIGH likely hood that it will be produced overseas and assembled here…

Last, there are a few new items coming out within the next year one of which sounds more aggressive than anything of recent… I was asked not to mention it by name but I can hint that it’s a 50/50 lens design… No questions please…

My opinion is I love Oakley for what it was. I don’t care for what it is becoming… I choose to buy very few new models because of the lack of effort put forth by this new generation of Lux… Regardless of factors that influenced this, the new regime wants profit margins not cutting edge and this is evident... Globalization of the product has made Lux decide to ditch innovation for quick sales with minimal effort… This will soon fall flat IMO and a once proud brand will become a casualty of the Ray Ban syndrome.

The market was never designed for us is correct, but with Jim at the helm our appetites were satisfied along with the masses… Current releases are not aesthetically pleasing at all to a lot of us, but they are still Oakleys so we should keep buying is BS… I might keep buying, but it will be the good old stuff (Vintage) that I loved for so long about the company… Once that appetite is satisfied I will be stepping away from the table and let me tell you I’m getting pretty full….

Batty this was in no way meant to be condescending of your post, more meant to air the differences in opinions within the company (our sources) and a bit of IMO.
Very well put!

Touche, Del. Like many have said here, I guess everyone has a different story. It's interesting to hear what everyone is saying from all points of the company.

This is exactly why I don't blame the 60 Minutes segment for causing a rift amongst the fandom. It's all speculation from all sides. I'm basing my speculation on the fact that the Lux CEO danced around the merger question and acted like a smug weasel when he gave his answer in regards to the questions. Had he acted differently, I would probably take that segment with a grain of salt.

But like I said, all of this is speculation because neither side is willing to come out and officially tell it like it happened which just tells me that something went so sour that they refuse to officially come out and talk about it.

+10 000

I love people or things because they deserve it, not because they deserved it or they pretend they will deserve it. And for the moment Oakley doesn't deserve it, overpriced Big Taco/Garage Rock/something 2.0 with a hole in earstems/etc, doing tons of useless special edition changing one colour or two for every event to make pay collectors and stop X-metal or Monster Dog, are you kidding me? I should love this? No i don't, and i won't if it continues like this, there is no point to love with nothing but bad things in return

Considering I know nothing about the processing and manufacturing of X-metals and the inherent dangers or lack thereof, it is certainly NOT a far fetched idea to think manufacturing is moved to Nevada or overseas simply due to the hazardous nature of the materials. Nevada does not have an AQMD. Anyone remember the Clark Foam debacle from a few years ago? THE major manufacturer of surfboard foam up and shut down overnight (seemingly) due to AQMD and other State of California Boards of This, That, and Everything Else requirements. The process became too costly, the profit margins too narrow. An entire industry turned on its head overnight.

Yeah- I can easily see Oakley, and practically every other company in Kalifornia, outsourcing their processes to other states and countries due to regulations and cost margins. Not sure how anyone could or why anyone would argue about it.

Back