• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Exchange Prices

Is there a way to make it so that replies from people who aren't the OP don't bump the post? And maybe even replies from the original poster that aren't within 48 hours?

Example:
I post a for sale thread. 40000000 people comment on it, cause it's that awesome. But only MY authorized 48 hour bump bumps it?

Interesting idea, but if 4000000 people commented on it, it must be pretty awesome, so doesn't it deserve to be at the top? I mean that is kinda the premise of forum layouts with threads. If you're popular, you get commented and move to the top. The wrench is when the comments on the thread aren't about whether its popular.

Interesting idea, but if 4000000 people commented on it, it must be pretty awesome, so doesn't it deserve to be at the top? I mean that is kinda the premise of forum layouts with threads. If you're popular, you get commented and move to the top. The wrench is when the comments on the thread aren't about whether its popular.
Is there a way to make it so that comments on a thread in the exchange section are invisible to everyone but the OP and the staff? If that was in place you'd prevent a lot of the "GLWS" posts or posts about random crap that always end up in those threads. It would give the OP a way to keep track of who's interested and respond to posts in a way that gets the information out to interested buyers/sellers but didn't make everyone else go through 3 pages of "GLWS" to get all the details on the items.

It's kind of a double edged sword.

Rofl, yes, if I have that many comments, I'm popular.. and should be at the top... but imho, that shouldnt' apply in the exchange forum. Rustpot makes a good point that random jabber about the item keeps it at the top, when sometimes.. that's just not fair to other sellers, who in turn have to find ways to bump their items. BUT... I'm also all, like you Oakleyboss about the random jabber. Good example is a thread involving the sale of a pair that are still available online for much less. Someone jumps in and says, "Hey man, may wanna lower the price a bit because of this reason". Maybe original poster didn't know, but now everybody knows. We don't allow eachother to get screwed. (If anybody knows the thread I'm talking about, we all know the original poster isn't the kind to screw somebody over, he just genuinely didn' t know, and I will vouch for him anyday).

I dunno, it all seems to work fine for me. At least in the X-Metal forum which is where my bank goes empty, it seems that nothing lasts more than a day or two anyways. Honestly the most it needs is some self regulation of locking threads, and it really would be nice if people kept prices after they're sold.

Is there a way to make it so that comments on a thread in the exchange section are invisible to everyone but the OP and the staff? If that was in place you'd prevent a lot of the "GLWS" posts or posts about random crap that always end up in those threads. It would give the OP a way to keep track of who's interested and respond to posts in a way that gets the information out to interested buyers/sellers but didn't make everyone else go through 3 pages of "GLWS" to get all the details on the items.

That is an interesting idea. Would have to see if its possible. The other thing to watch out for is google indexing rules. Hidden Content is a big no-non with them, so I'd have to see if that counts or is valid.

That is an interesting idea. Would have to see if its possible. The other thing to watch out for is google indexing rules. Hidden Content is a big no-non with them, so I'd have to see if that counts or is valid.
The main thing that comes to mind for me is when people post say 5 pairs for sale, 4 of them sell within minutes, the thread fills with people who missed out, and then 2 of them go back up for sale. Not many people will keep re-reading the first post or make it to page 2,3,4,etc of the thread to see that the pairs have come back up for sale. If only posts from the OP are visible then the 2nd or 3rd posting would have been the OP stating the items are for sale again, potentially selling the item faster and preventing weeks of thread bumping.

Hiding posts except for the OP seems a considerable amount of overkill to me. If people ask questions or mark PM as required by the rules or engage in other understandable and allowable discussion, it leaves it totally invisible to everyone else.

I mean, this is a forum, right? Isn't the point to discuss, even in exchange threads? I don't understand the need for limits on it. Yes, there are people that don't follow the Bump guidelines or engage in superfluous posting in exchange threads, but I don't think it's to the level of needing to consider drastic measure to address. And after all, if you don't want to read something, you don't have to.

Perhaps setting a limit (not programmed, just a board rule) on the number of times a thread can be bumped, or the age a thread can be bumped would ease things. I think posters that bump something for five pages with no other comments, or bump things every two days for a month straight are more of an issue than comments in exchange threads. And those can be dealt with easily by simply locking threads if needed.

Hiding posts except for the OP seems a considerable amount of overkill to me. If people ask questions or mark PM as required by the rules or engage in other understandable and allowable discussion, it leaves it totally invisible to everyone else.

I mean, this is a forum, right? Isn't the point to discuss, even in exchange threads? I don't understand the need for limits on it. Yes, there are people that don't follow the Bump guidelines or engage in superfluous posting in exchange threads, but I don't think it's to the level of needing to consider drastic measure to address. And after all, if you don't want to read something, you don't have to.

Perhaps setting a limit (not programmed, just a board rule) on the number of times a thread can be bumped, or the age a thread can be bumped would ease things. I think posters that bump something for five pages with no other comments, or bump things every two days for a month straight are more of an issue than comments in exchange threads. And those can be dealt with easily by simply locking threads if needed.

I do agree that the point of a forum is to discuss, and this is something I constantly loop back to when we begin discussing these limits. Though I think a board rule for bumps is not effective, since we already have one, and no one knows about it loll. But the bump button would essentially just bring it to the top. OP would still be able to post, discuss and answer questions, but if he turned around and said "Bump", a mod would come and delete it. This is just how I see it running in my head, definitely a lot to work out still. I like the feedback though, keep it coming guys.

I see your point here but if all the OP posts and replies still show there is nothing preventing the conversation, you are just keeping the most relevant posts front and center. There are plenty of places on the forum to start conversations about items but think about it this way. If you are buying a pair on Craigslist and you message the seller, would you want that to show as part of the for sale ad? If you messaged him 10 times and decided not to buy, do other Craigslist users have to sift through that just to see if they item is still available?

Obviously this isn't Craigslist so the added benefit would be that anything not asked via pm would get a response from the seller in the for sale thread, passing that info along to other prospective buyers.

I'm not trying to suggest running the exchange section like some kind of super strict, no messing around, sales only or else type of thing, just suggesting that both buyers and sellers could benefit from not having to sift through multiple pages of questions about ship Brazil and glws posts.

I'm not trying to suggest running the exchange section like some kind of super strict, no messing around, sales only or else type of thing, just suggesting that both buyers and sellers could benefit from not having to sift through multiple pages of questions about ship Brazil and glws posts.

I don't see why the exchange is anything more than just the seller posting on the sale thread. If there are questions about the item, the potential buyer can simply PM the seller. If the seller wants to add new information to the thread, he can just add a reply topic. I see this format on another large forum and it's very clean and eliminates off topic discussions, flaming over prices, and GLWS replies by BFF's. Imagine how much work of the mods maintaining sales threads could be used elsewhere on something more productive.

As far as this being a forum and not wanting to eliminate conversation, there are plenty of other sections to post discussions that are meaningful and do not concern a sale item. I have seen useful conversation get lost in exchange threads only to become next to impossible to find later. If the conversation took place in the correct section it could be found and used for later reference more easily.

My question is when there is obviously no interest in a item whether it be price, the item or the person who is selling it. Bumps the item 15-20 times shouldn't there be a limit on that as well? There is not interest why should it be allowed to be bumped anymore?

Back