• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Eye Jacket 1.0 lens replacement

jhnbssll

Oakley Enthusiast
My first ever Oakley's were black/gold w/ Gold Iridium Eye Jackets, back in the early 90's. I was in my early teens and I can remember convincing my parents to let me spend most of my savings on day 2 of our holiday in a branch of Sunglass Hut in New York 😅 I later sold that pair to my cousin, the only pair I've parted with. When an identical pair popped up for sale last year I had to have them - the frames were nice but the lenses have a few small scratches.

20220501_000032.jpg
20220501_000107.jpg

When I bought the original pair I was torn between those and the Cobalt / +Red Iridium and since I now have more pocket money available I treated myself to a pair of those too. Again the frames are nice but the lenses poor.

20220501_000644.jpg
20220501_000352.jpg

Now I managed to find some brand new Gold Iridium lenses so I've bought those and am waiting for their arrival. I've also used the donor lens compatibility thread and ordered some Eye Jacket Redux +Red Iridium lenses and am going to have a go at hand cutting them. If all goes to plan I'll have three pretty sweet pairs of original Eye Jackets soon :) Three? Oh yeah, I also snapped up a pair of Moss / Gold Iridium which I'm waiting to arrive. They were described as 'Mint' so I'm hoping they won't need new lenses 😆

This will be my first attempt at hand cutting lenses so should be entertaining - I'm pretty handy with a dremel so should go fairly well I hope 😅 I just hope I can pop the lenses in and out without breaking the frames, I doubt I'll be wearing these very often but at least I've got a spare pair of decent black/gold arms stashed away if these ones break...

Anyway, when the lenses arrive I'll post some pics of my cutting attempts, should be good for a laugh if nothing else ;)

My first ever Oakley's were black/gold w/ Gold Iridium Eye Jackets, back in the early 90's. I was in my early teens and I can remember convincing my parents to let me spend most of my savings on day 2 of our holiday in a branch of Sunglass Hut in New York 😅 I later sold that pair to my cousin, the only pair I've parted with. When an identical pair popped up for sale last year I had to have them - the frames were nice but the lenses have a few small scratches.

View attachment 958773View attachment 958772

When I bought the original pair I was torn between those and the Cobalt / +Red Iridium and since I now have more pocket money available I treated myself to a pair of those too. Again the frames are nice but the lenses poor.

View attachment 958770View attachment 958771

Now I managed to find some brand new Gold Iridium lenses so I've bought those and am waiting for their arrival. I've also used the donor lens compatibility thread and ordered some Eye Jacket Redux +Red Iridium lenses and am going to have a go at hand cutting them. If all goes to plan I'll have three pretty sweet pairs of original Eye Jackets soon :) Three? Oh yeah, I also snapped up a pair of Moss / Gold Iridium which I'm waiting to arrive. They were described as 'Mint' so I'm hoping they won't need new lenses 😆

This will be my first attempt at hand cutting lenses so should be entertaining - I'm pretty handy with a dremel so should go fairly well I hope 😅 I just hope I can pop the lenses in and out without breaking the frames, I doubt I'll be wearing these very often but at least I've got a spare pair of decent black/gold arms stashed away if these ones break...

Anyway, when the lenses arrive I'll post some pics of my cutting attempts, should be good for a laugh if nothing else ;)
@zcrxsi has OEM Gold Iridium if you need more:

Thread 'New OEM Eye Jacket Lenses - NOS Gold Iridium'
For Sale - New OEM Eye Jacket Lenses - NOS Gold Iridium

Back