• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

EyeKon Lenses For Oakley XX (Vintage) Purchase And Review (Final Update 12-31-12)

• Thread starter digi7alph0enix
  • Start date
Oakley says:

yls9rukp.png

Final Update:

So it's been about a month that I've had these lenses now, and I've had the chance to use them nearly every day, several times a day. Here are a few things I've noticed, along with my final thoughts.

I've changed lenses probably a dozen times since I got them, more than I normally would with Oakley lenses, to get a feel for how they would hold up and how happy I was with them. One key thing I've noticed is that the curve of the lens appears to have changed somehow, seeming slightly flatter than when I first got and installed them. As you've probably read in the first parts of the review, the fit was pretty good when the lenses arrived, with no noticeable gaps even though the lens curvature wasn't identical to my stock lenses. Now I've noticed that there are small gaps between the lens and the frame with both sets that I purchased, but not with my stock lenses, leading me to assume that something has happened that has changed the way the lenses fit into the frame. The only explanation I can think of is that the flexing of the lenses while being removed and installed somehow altered the curve so that they no longer sit properly in the lens channels. This isn't hugely noticeable at first glance however, and with a bit of adjustment I can almost eliminate the gaps. The glasses are still wearable with these lenses, but I'm somewhat of a perfectionist so it bothers me.

I've also noticed that the microfiber bags that came with the lenses aren't holding up as well as the Oakley ones do. I've primarily been using one bag to clean the lenses and it shows more wear than I feel it should for being a month old. I'm not hard on my glasses/lenses/bags/etc so I don't believe that they should be wearing the way they are, but as I said in the original post I wasn't expecting to get them anyway so I'm not too concerned with it.

I do have to say that the lens clarity is still very good, and the coloration on the lenses looks just as flawless as when I received them.

My whole goal with this purchase was to find something that I didn't have to spend on ton that protected my eyes from the harsh sun here in Texas, but that I wouldn't be too heartbroken about if they were lost, stolen, or damaged while I was working. These lenses have given me that, but I couldn't in good conscience recommend them to someone else who wanted more than that from them. They are easily better quality than gas station or Wal-Mart lenses/glasses, but I can't say I agree with their claim of being equal to or better than Oakley. In my experience that just isn't the case. When all was said and done I spent $42.51 for two sets of polarized lenses shipped to my door for frames that are somewhat difficult and costly to find lenses for these days. I had high hopes that the quality would be as exceptional as they claimed, but in the end I got what I really needed, and that is two sets of lenses that I can work in without worry.

Overall I'd give the total transaction a 8/10, and the lenses themselves a 6/10. Whether or not I'll buy from this company again will depend greatly on how rare the lenses I need are, and how much I value the frames and conditions they will be used in. Hopefully that helps others decide if this is the right company for them.

Back