• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Fading and Discoloration Flight Jacket Frame

kirkvee

Oakley Beginner
I have a flight jacket on its way and I ordered the matte black/silver frame. Lovely and cool looking pair.

So my question is how will the silver color on the stem hold up against fading and discoloration? Any remedies/customization you can advise to avoid that from happening?

Screenshot_2021-10-18-09-53-05-168_com.miui.home.jpg

If you want to keep it looking like how it does now, don't wear it. How you use your pair, how often, and how you take care of it, will determine how long things last.

I have a flight jacket on its way and I ordered the matte black/silver frame. Lovely and cool looking pair.

So my question is how will the silver color on the stem hold up against fading and discoloration? Any remedies/customization you can advise to avoid that from happening?

View attachment 910020
I’m assuming you can’t/don’t want to buy replacement parts or an extra pair to put away.

Keep them inside the bag and in the case when not in use. Wash them after every use with warm water and a small amount of dish soap if you’re working out or sweating a lot. Wash your hands before washing the lenses. Don’t use a lot of hair or skin products/lotions/etc in the areas that may come into contact with the frame. Don’t set them down; keep them on your face or in the case. That should keep them in great condition as long as possible.

I can’t speak to clear coats or anything to protect the finish on the ear stems, maybe @SouLFuLFroG @Rick58 or other customizers can chime in?

“Oakley” silver is known for wearing off at contact points (eg: earstem tips). I wipe down my riding eyewear with a microfibre cloth sprayed (lightly) with the lens cleaning solution after a sweaty ride. This seems to keep the Unobtainium fresh too.

I’m assuming you can’t/don’t want to buy replacement parts or an extra pair to put away.

Keep them inside the bag and in the case when not in use. Wash them after every use with warm water and a small amount of dish soap if you’re working out or sweating a lot. Wash your hands before washing the lenses. Don’t use a lot of hair or skin products/lotions/etc in the areas that may come into contact with the frame. Don’t set them down; keep them on your face or in the case. That should keep them in great condition as long as possible.

I can’t speak to clear coats or anything to protect the finish on the ear stems, maybe @SouLFuLFroG @Rick58 or other customizers can chime in?
I do apply generous amount of sunblock sometimes. Il tone it down.

The fjs are my 2nd pair of oakleys after I bought my sutro s road barely 2wks ago. And bought them so I can cycle through different shades. I have cheaper ones but unfortunately, I can't use them anymore after getting to try prizm.

And yes, thinking about having them clear-coated to add an extra film for protection.

“Oakley” silver is known for wearing off at contact points (eg: earstem tips). I wipe down my riding eyewear with a microfibre cloth sprayed (lightly) with the lens cleaning solution after a sweaty ride. This seems to keep the Unobtainium fresh too.I

I'm worried that the silver paint may thin out too quickly or chip. I can't easily access oakley spray cleaner but I'm getting great results from dishwashing soap like Joy. I wish them clean and dry every

I do apply generous amount of sunblock sometimes. Il tone it down.

The fjs are my 2nd pair of oakleys after I bought my sutro s road barely 2wks ago. And bought them so I can cycle through different shades. I have cheaper ones but unfortunately, I can't use them anymore after getting to try prizm.

And yes, thinking about having them clear-coated to add an extra film for protection.

I'm worried that the silver paint may thin out too quickly or chip. I can't easily access oakley spray cleaner but I'm getting great results from dishwashing soap like Joy. I wish them clean and dry every

Do you have a sunglass hut near you? They use the exact same solution as oakley and fill the bottles with the same stuff

Latest Posts

Back