• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Fake Badman & Madman Photos *Buyer Beware

I didn't see that. Thank You Mr Kronin! One thing that I really like about Tailend is the lense selection. One think I don't understand in the design. On the lower outside of the lense there's a little tab that sticks out. Is there any functionality to the tab, or do they just like the look. If they are just for looks, I think I would file those little tabs off. I think it would look better with an unbroken curve.
Now that ZI look at it, it probably adds a little rigidity to the lense at that point. Kind of like a stiff back.

The tab is mostly just cosmetic, though it does increase coverage a hair.

Have you heard about the problem they have with the hinge breaking easily?

You should check out the Tailend, if you like comfortable pairs with round lenses and the coverage is even better than Mars and madman.

View attachment 275172
I've almost thought that they're comfortable. I need to have 'em. Oakley should stop bringing out that kind of cool glasses which brings me in financial difficulties.

As expected for something made in China. I wouldn't be surprised if the same factory that makes the authentic ones are responsible with the fakes -- use the same molds with different materials.
I'm on the soccer shirts/jersey market too, and I could asure that China is making everything, using the molds that brands sent to them, you actually can see a fake Nike or adidas that use the same fabrics but the quality of assembly is the worst, they are really doing those things

Both plastic and aluminum have very low cost barriers for someone to create replicas with. They're easy to source and doesn't cost much to fabricate. Even McGyver can make you a pair in his shack with tools readily available at home. Moulding plastic? Use an oven. Shaping aluminum? Use hand tools.

Old x metals are Ti alloys, and all the fakes I've seen don't even come close in terms of materials used. Sure, some of the casts were crap (eg. R1 and Juliets) and some were excellent (eg. XS like you mentioned) but at the end of the day you'd know a fake as soon as you pick it up because it's made of significantly different materials. Sure, someone can try to fake x-metals with Ti alloy, but the cost and effort involved is prohibitive. Hell if the process was cheap, Lux wouldn't have shut down the plant in the first place now, would they?
He would need about a 15 Axis CNC. 40 years ago I was cutting dies and molds for Jostens, the company that makes some of the best Class Rings, Medallions, and even Super Bowl, World Series, NBA, NCAA and many championship rings and trophies. Now they use CNC, but we cut the molds on a Pantograph machine, which is used by machine shops who don’t want to
Spend $100,000 for an advanced CNC. To become proficient enough to cut these molds on a Pantograph would take at least ten years, and that would be 10 years of 45 hour weeks. I know because I did it.I have seen the new Bad and Madman shades, and what I can find is discrepancy in the lens area. It’s Pretty easy to fit a real pair of Madman lenses by spending 20 minutes tuning the lens with a file. Some of the replicas have really bad lenses, But anyone with a top line Poly lens cutting machine could easily turn out a lot of very good copies.
Another discrepancy is the quality of the screws. I have no idea why they used such crap screws. They are not T6, and not T5, so I don’t know what they are.

Nobody here is an expert yet but actually the fake pair lenses can be be really polarized.
The most obvious is that packaging should be correct and should include the plastic canister.
Another is that those pair which should have translucent/semi transparent plastic part on the frame is only colored black.
Another is the way the earstem closes, it is so loose sometimes the earstem does not cross and touch one another.
Most has the wrong colorway but there are correct ones but those that copied the lens ruby and sapphire color got the color wrong.
There are those not obvious like the thicker frame orbital, O logo on earstem poorly copied.
It might also have the wrong sku#but cannot confirm it at the moment.
The copies that I have seen open and close firmly, just as good as my original Madman. The actions on the BadMan copies are equally crisp, and have the same feel as my originals. These are very close to real. They differences are in the lenses and the screws. All else, including the action on the hinge springs are pretty damn good.

Back