• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Fake?!? Just bought Jawbreakers

feels cheap and the lenses are a little more see through then what seems right. I know nothing about glasses though. I did all the research I could to find information about signs of fabrication but I don’t trust myself to notice small details considering I’m not well educated in the subject. Thanks for your input. I really appreciate it

It's not uncommon to find some of the common frames for around 30% off (hell Oakley will usually just throw a 30% coupon at you to resolve complaints), Basically you got about 25% off which isn't uncommon.

I would be more suspicious if it was $50 paid.

If they didn't come with a box/etc as DBninc mentioned they could be second hand.
There was also residue in a square shape on the inside of the box where it looks like a sticker was removed which was the main concern.

feels cheap and the lenses are a little more see through then what seems right. I know nothing about glasses though. I did all the research I could to find information about signs of fabrication but I don’t trust myself to notice small details considering I’m not well educated in the subject. Thanks for your input. I really appreciate it

I notice that a lot in terms of 'feels cheap' but funny enough, the cheap stuff pretending to be high end tends to be heavy, and the high end stuff tends to get lighter far as practical usage goes (especially in say fountain pens which is my other vice, some of the ones hundreds to thousands of dollars, are light and delicate).

For Sports application, light is usually better to reduce strain or jostling.

The specific colorway you got there is Prizm Road, it's not as dark as most sunglasses, it's meant for sport applications such as cycling. Lets in about 20% light (versus your typical dark sunglasses that are around 8% to 12%), the iridium mirror finish on the front is very similar to say Prizm Trail Torch, in brighter days the mirror finish is more prominent, but overcast or shade, people are more likely to see your eyes behind them.

There was also residue in a square shape on the inside of the box where it looks like a sticker was removed which was the main concern.
Possibly one of those anti-theft circuit stickers that set off the door alarms in retail stores when not disarmed.

Far as the pictures go, they look like an authentic pair. Also Prizm Road when you look thru the back should have a slightly pinkish-purplish hue that your eyes will adjust to after a while. Things red, brown, or orange in color will appear to pop more.

Possibly one of those anti-theft circuit stickers that set off the door alarms in retail stores when not disarmed.

Far as the pictures go, they look like an authentic pair. Also Prizm Road when you look thru the back should have a slightly pinkish-purplish hue that your eyes will adjust to after a while. Things red, brown, or orange in color will appear to pop more.
Thank you for your help. Much appreciated!

Thank you for your help. Much appreciated!
Try to avoid cleaning the lens with anything other than water, you can use the bag they came with (if they came with one) to lightly brush off dust or oils (basically it's a microfiber bag). You don't want to use any solvents, and an air bulb works nicely to blow off dust without having to touch it.

Being that it's a sports application kind of frame, especially when you're sweating a lot, can rinse em in water for the most part and keep on cycling.

Those also do have user replicable lenses too, from Oakley you have about 17 different ones you can pick (some polarized, some prizm, etc) https://www.oakley.com/en-us/product/W0OO9290R?variant=888392308016

Aftermarket lens do exist too, but their quality/durability can vary greatly (and most under 50 are just crap anyways).

Basically if you want something darker, or different, without having to buy a whole new sunglass, that's an option.

Back