• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Fake X-Squared

• Thread starter nightpusher1
  • Start date
Nope, x-metals as we know them are gone for good. Any rumors about them coming back is wishful thinking.

Do some searching around the forum; that topic has been beaten to death repeatedly...
I will do more reading on the website here. I think this will be my best bet on finding more people that share the same love for Oakley X-Metals as I do. Any reason why the metals were put to rest in 2012?

I will do more reading on the website here. I think this will be my best bet on finding more people that share the same love for Oakley X-Metals as I do. Any reason why the metals were put to rest in 2012?
Here are a few links to start off your reading. :)

http://www.oakleyforum.com/threads/x-metal-discontinued.6504/

http://www.oakleyforum.com/threads/x-metal-discontinuation-has-started.5939/

http://www.oakleyforum.com/threads/since-x-metals-wil-discontinue-should-i-stockpile-parts.4454/

http://www.oakleyforum.com/threads/x-metal-discontinued.28251/

Any reason why the metals were put to rest in 2012?

They were made in their own factory in Nevada and it got shut down (other Oaks were made in California, though now o-matter frames are made in China, thanks to Lux, but the lenses are still made in Cali and they're assembled in Cali, too.)

Why did they close the factory? The only for-sure reason, $$$. I've never seen an official explanation for the decision. But x-metals were very costly and time-consuming to make and, since Oakley got bought by Lux, it was really just a matter of time before that happened. Understand that x-metals only jumped to their current values after the factory closed; there was a time when they had trouble moving them as much.

There's been rumors that Oakley opened the x-metal plant in Nevada instead of Cali due to some material handling regulations that were stricter in Cali, and that they closed in Nevada because they changed their regulations to match Cali and there wasn't enough business justification for the cost of moving the plant somewhere else. But I don't know if that's true; just a rumor.

But either way you cut it, it was all about $$$. And that's why x-metals as you know them will never be seen again - too much $$$ to get back to where they were before. If they every release anything else called an x-metal, it will be something different that's just reusing the name, most likely inferior to the originals, and I don't think they'll do that.

They were made in their own factory in Nevada and it got shut down (other Oaks were made in California, though now o-matter frames are made in China, thanks to Lux, but the lenses are still made in Cali and they're assembled in Cali, too.)

Why did they close the factory? The only for-sure reason, $$$. I've never seen an official explanation for the decision. But x-metals were very costly and time-consuming to make and, since Oakley got bought by Lux, it was really just a matter of time before that happened. Understand that x-metals only jumped to their current values after the factory closed; there was a time when they had trouble moving them as much.

There's been rumors that Oakley opened the x-metal plant in Nevada instead of Cali due to some material handling regulations that were stricter in Cali, and that they closed in Nevada because they changed their regulations to match Cali and there wasn't enough business justification for the cost of moving the plant somewhere else. But I don't know if that's true; just a rumor.

But either way you cut it, it was all about $$$. And that's why x-metals as you know them will never be seen again - too much $$$ to get back to where they were before. If they every release anything else called an x-metal, it will be something different that's just reusing the name, most likely inferior to the originals, and I don't think they'll do that.

Thank you so much for the brief history on what has happened over the last few years with the O team. It sucks that the sunglasses will not return. I really thought the sunglasses sold well before. I remember only so many people bought the Juliets and Romeos before. I just thought people preferred the cheaper price of the plastic ones such as the Eye Socket, Half Jackets, HolBrooks, etc. Now I wish I had purchased more in 2012 when I purchased my X-Squareds. I am now grateful for this forum because people on here know their stuff and are letting others here know not to purchase from ebay as much.

I never knew there were fake x-metals! I asked someone to buy this pair of juliet for me for $110 and it's still in asia. I haven't seen it yet and these are the only photos i got because they are already packed for shipping. Can you guys tell if it's legit??
image.jpg
image.jpg

I never knew there were fake x-metals! I asked someone to buy this pair of juliet for me for $110 and it's still in asia. I haven't seen it yet and these are the only photos i got because they are already packed for shipping. Can you guys tell if it's legit?? View attachment 90407View attachment 90408

They look real. Have you seen the thread about spotting fakes?
http://www.oakleyforum.com/threads/oakley-x-metal-authenticity-checklist.23622/#post-270499

But the four main indicators of fake Juliets all look good on this one.

It's a lot harder to spot fake XS than Juliets.

And i'm not familiar with serial numbers. The serial on this pair looks different than the plasma i had. That's what really scared me

Back