• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Favorite Metal Combination

I like InfiniteHero's post and respect the guy in general, and I won't disagree with his observations. But personally, I will not be going down the path of his last stage or two; it conflicts with my philosophy on why to collect (which can be found, kinda, on the off-topic thread "what else do you collect" or something like that...)

Personally, though many like the original x-metal finish, I've always found it kinda boring, but that may change with time. Despite many here turning their nose up at the latter-gen semi-polished version of plasma, that was my first frame and is still my favorite. Like MJLSr, plasma / ice polarized has a special place in my heart; it was my first pair. But, I prefer plasma / BIP as the best straight-shooting goes-with-everything combo.

I have VR28 BIP in a custom so-called "CO2" frame that has really been starting to stand out to me. I have a number of sets with contrast lenses but carbon with oo red polarized custom cuts (from IH, BTW) and LG red rubbers have become my go-to pair when it's overcast.

Carbon Frame
Ducati Rubbers
Custom Cut +Red Iridium

Very similar to my overcast go-to's, only your rubbers are OEM (while mine are 3rd party but include red nosebombs and gaskets) and your custom cuts are +red while mine are oo red...

Really, my custom cut oo red cut out most of the red, they're more a shade of purple that get a little red with the right angle, but both oo red and +red have been very inconsistent from Oakley...

I have original OEM non-custom cut +red polarized in a pair of polished, and it's one of their better examples of +red - I love them too; makes me think of the Brad Pitt Tyler Durden beating up the Edward Norton Tyler Durden when he's trying to disarm the van-bomb, even though the only x-metals worn in that movie were a pair of Mars Jordans earlier on...
20140416_164913.jpg

oo red carbon
20140413_141705.jpg

For me its the XX 24K.

Also the copper penny (stock). I do not personally own one but they are truly amazing. Surprised I have not seen more votes for these stunners

these are my favorite standard lenses to go with each finish.
xmetal - ruby iridium, +red iridium
plasma - violet iridium, ice iridium
ti02 - black iridium, tungsten iridium
polished - vr28, emerald iridium
carbon/polished carbon - pretty much any lens
24k (xx type) - 24k iridium
24k (juliet, xs type) - ice iridium, violet iridium
copper - ice iridium, vr28

what do you think?

Back