• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Favorite pair to wear/fits you best/reach for the most

Favorite Pair To Wear

• Romeo 1

Votes: 16 18.6%
  • Romeo 2

Votes: 1 1.2%
  • Juliet

Votes: 29 33.7%
  • X Squared

Votes: 11 12.8%
  • Penny

Votes: 7 8.1%
  • XX

Votes: 15 17.4%
  • Half-X

Votes: 1 1.2%
  • Other

Votes: 6 7.0%

• Total voters
We're everywhere you can't get rid of us! :spiteful:

I live in FL, the Mexicans here are pretty laid back, its the Puerto Ricans that are crazy here. We need a wall in between FL and PR.... Or a huge fishing net or something...

Now- I have thought about the question of this thread and looked at the survey results which in turn inexplicably triggered brain activity on a Sunday morning so let me revisit:

First this topic is somewhat poorly constructed in terms of its question- what frame is your fav may not fit you best or what fits you best may not be what you reach for the most. Based on the survey results I'd argue the rankings are more a result of what frames more people own and will tilt heavily Juliet because that's the frame most own. Now that could be because the Juliet fits the widest selection of faces which -although I feel the Juliet is borderline too small on larger heads like mine (7 inch plus hat size, lean face but proportional to a 6 foot 5 inch 235 lb body) I realize I'm in the 99th percentile - means it will take a huge lead even though I think the biggest downfall of the Juliet is it being the only Metal of the Big 4 (Romeo, XX, XS, Juliet) that doesn't have hammerstems across the entire line which make the fit night and day better.

Now, looking back I note I chose X Squared. While I keep my collection fairly balanced (3 R1, 3 Juliet- all hammers, 3 XS, 3 XX) and wear them fairly evenly I find myself answering the question once again using the "desert island" context- if you could only take ONE frame to a desert island which would you take?

Still the X-Squared. When asked to pick a frame that I'd be forced to wear every day that needed to function well, be comfortable, look good on me, be something I liked and is easy to self maintenance? XS is still the king. It fixed the other Metals shortcomings and fits me like a glove. I love all my Metals- but for me the fact I'd keep an XS as my one pair if I had to is very telling

Unless you're wearing a motorcycle helmet or something else that interferes with the hammers, hammerstems do not affect fit. Juliets being the only frame with both hammer / non-hammer versions, if you stack an example of each you find that the stems are positioned identically once you get past the hammer's dogleg. That's been shown in a thread or two before, perhaps trump can bump them.

Overall frame width and t-shox size make the difference.

Now- I have thought about the question of this thread and looked at the survey results which in turn inexplicably triggered brain activity on a Sunday morning so let me revisit:

First this topic is somewhat poorly constructed in terms of its question- what frame is your fav may not fit you best or what fits you best may not be what you reach for the most. Based on the survey results I'd argue the rankings are more a result of what frames more people own and will tilt heavily Juliet because that's the frame most own. Now that could be because the Juliet fits the widest selection of faces which -although I feel the Juliet is borderline too small on larger heads like mine (7 inch plus hat size, lean face but proportional to a 6 foot 5 inch 235 lb body) I realize I'm in the 99th percentile - means it will take a huge lead even though I think the biggest downfall of the Juliet is it being the only Metal of the Big 4 (Romeo, XX, XS, Juliet) that doesn't have hammerstems across the entire line which make the fit night and day better.

Now, looking back I note I chose X Squared. While I keep my collection fairly balanced (3 R1, 3 Juliet- all hammers, 3 XS, 3 XX) and wear them fairly evenly I find myself answering the question once again using the "desert island" context- if you could only take ONE frame to a desert island which would you take?

Still the X-Squared. When asked to pick a frame that I'd be forced to wear every day that needed to function well, be comfortable, look good on me, be something I liked and is easy to self maintenance? XS is still the king. It fixed the other Metals shortcomings and fits me like a glove. I love all my Metals- but for me the fact I'd keep an XS as my one pair if I had to is very telling

Very well composed response. I chose XS for many of those reasons, though my response was no where as well detailed, I'm sure. I didn't go back to look at it though.

I like your deserted island theory, and using that scenario, XS still wins it for me as well.

Unless you're wearing a motorcycle helmet or something else that interferes with the hammers, hammerstems do not affect fit. Juliets being the only frame with both hammer / non-hammer versions, if you stack an example of each you find that the stems are positioned identically once you get past the hammer's dogleg. That's been shown in a thread or two before, perhaps trump can bump them.

Overall frame width and t-shox size make the difference.

That doesn't hold true based on my personal experience with my head. On my head the ends of non hammers dig right back into the side of my head. The overall footprint of the earsocks that touch the side of my head on a non hammer is about 25 pct that of a hammer no matter what frame/shock combo is being used. On my head the hammerstems serve to bring the back part of the earstems more parallel with the side of my head causing almost all of the earsocks to contact. No matter what frames or shocks combo I ever tried across many dozens of frames over the years it was the same thing to the point I jettisoned all straight stem frames.

I think there is something particular about my facial and overall head geometry that causes the hammers to fit more comfortably, securely and look so much better than straight and while certain pictures of static not being worn frames suggest maybe such shouldn't be the case, when I put them on the differences are undeniable

Latest Posts

Back