• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Feedback ettiquite?

I've had feedback left on ebay by sellers before I've left mine. It was unexpected, but elsewhere I found an argument for it. To quote:

"If you think about it, the buyer in an online auction has fulfilled his/her responsibilities to the transaction if he/she has (1) asked any questions about the item sufficiently in advance, (2) placed the winning bid, and (3) paid for the item in a timely manner. As such, the buyer is therefore owed a positive feedback from the seller immediately after payment. In fact, eBay won't let a seller leave anything but a positive feedback for a buyer; it either has to be positive or not at all. For a seller to withhold feedback subject to the buyer first leaving positive feedback for the seller is a little bit like extortion. Telling buyers that their leaving positive feedback for the seller first will let the seller know the item was received or deemed acceptable really doesn't make much sense. Good sellers should give good buyers positive feedback where and when it is deserved, and that's before the item is shipped."

That's specifically in reference to ebay, though. It's different here.

ebay didnt always used to be that way. Ive been a member since 1999 and it was totally different. Much like here you could hold out and leave retaliatory feedback.

Yep - I didn't join until 2004 but I remember that. They also never masked user IDs. I liked that better.
Yeah, I used to bid on items for multiple 000s on eBay but it's become a bit less trustworthy and I don't tend to go beyond multiple 00s now. If you bid on similar items you got to know the competition but now with all the masking, you have no idea how determined the bidder is or even if it's a shill.

Back