• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Ferrari TinCan

Very cool pair! After you get some use out of them, make sure you come back and update us on what you think. I'm very curious to how they hold up against other O pairs.

I have worn them for 2 days now - they are rock solid. The lenses have good coverage, not overkill on the frame border like the Jupiter experience I had last week. The hinges are exceptional, a very strong and functional design. Those are probably my favorite part of the glasses as the lenses really don't 'pop', but then again they are not supposed to. Still, I do like these a lot, but feel like I should be in a suit and tie and/or carrying while wearing, which won't always be the case... I could see getting a lot of miles out of them in the right environment/profession. There is also an interesting fitting for the lenses where the back is a smaller frame than what you see in the front. There is a small phillips head screw on the underside of the outer portion of each lens. I have that captured in the pics below and can add more detail later...

For me personally I do not like the fit as well as the Carbon Blades. It is very good, just not great. The same air-filled nose pads and while I cannot shake them off my head easily they are not quite as 'seamless' to me as the Carbon Blades. That just goes to show you carbon vs aluminum! Also some of the little things like the earsocks - the slide off very easily. Once they do the shine ends there... I'm not surprised, but not impressed either. The nose bridge piece appears to be glued or attached somehow without screws like the Carbon Blades. I know I keep mentioning Carbon Blades - and these are TinCans - but I think Oakley did a lot of things right with the CB's and these, well they don't impress me with the exception of the design/function of the hinges. I do also like the way the lenses are seated and screwed in. I have tried to capture it in one of the pics below.

For the folks out there that like this look they will probably be happy with them. I prefer the feel of the carbon or the contour of an X-Metal arm.

All things considered I like them and will happily keep a pair, wear them on occasion in the rotation. However, I bought two and may only be keeping only one. I just don't see this as a DD for me. There will be a post to follow if anyone wants to trade and has an X-Metal lying around they may want to part with. I dunno...

20140421_114756.jpg
20140421_114829.jpg
20140421_114839.jpg
20140421_114921.jpg
20140421_114931.jpg
20140421_114949.jpg

Not going to lie, a bit disappointing in hearing some of the things. You'd think for the money you're spending on these that they'd finish under the ear socks.

You'd think for the money you're spending on these that they'd finish under the ear socks.

That would make sense if somehow the unfinished metal/aluminum/alloy was meant to hold the rubber in place, but this is not the case at all IMO. The pics make it look worse than it is. it is dull, unfinished, compared to the rest of the frame. I also find the back of the orbital areas to be a bit like well, plastic... They do not seem to be metal nor shinny, inconsistent with the rest of the frame.

I certainly have an X-Metal bias, but between the chrome, aluminum, unfinished areas, and the rear of the orbitals 'feeling' like plastic... damn... the less I want either of these - BOTH may go back!

Also, the polarization is not as good as the Carbon Blades IMO. I expected it to be on par with them, or at least close and in my opinion it is not.

The more I think about these the more I am beginning to think these Tin Cans are not worth the tin can they are sitting on in my current avatar!

I think you just talked yourself out of these my friend! As the thread progressed you became less impressed with them. I know the feeling, just return them lol.

Haha I agree with Brett28. I really enjoy your thorough reviews. You progressively talked yourself out of the Tincan.

Back