• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Film coating peeling off

• Thread starter asinchaos
  • Start date
A

asinchaos

I've had 3 or 4 pairs of Oakleys with the film coating started to peel off after a while. At first I always got replacement lenses for them. Eventually I got tired of having to buy replacement lenses over and over again. Somebody told me I could just peel off the flaky remaining film on the lenses. What I want to know is it safe to wear those glasses without the film coating (completely removed)?

I think you could also contact the warranty claim number and have it replaced (not sure but was told this)

I think you could also contact the warranty claim number and have it replaced (not sure but was told this)

Dependent on A) whether you registered when you bought them B)bought from a registered outlet or store C) whether they're still in warranty period.

The layer that tends to peel is the Anti-Reflective / AR layer. And yes, it's safe to wear them without it, though you may notice its lack.

It's common enough and due to exposure to dirt and oils that I'm unsure if it's covered by warranty. There have been other, different incidents with polarized lenses where the polarization layer delaminated, and that was considered a manufacturing defect and covered by warranty.

Properly clean them when you take them off. If you have product in your hair and wear them on your head, the product will eat at the coating.

Back