• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

F'in ebay....

hearno

Oakley Collector
I've been bidding on a pair of NIB XS in plasma with polarized fire...The other guy was keeping his bid increments low and so was I. Most others had dropped out by the $175 mark. I had the highest bid in with 8 hours to go at $205 shipped. Not a steal but a pretty good deal for NIB polarized. I wake up this morning and see he out bid me at around $230. I was fine with it because I wasn't dying for them and probably would have sold or traded them here in a few weeks anyways. I let it go and the other guy won. I get an email today from the seller for the "second chance" at my highest bid of $225 +$7 shipped. I smelled a rat. According to the seller, the other bidder couldn't pay his highest offer even though he was in the bid war from the beginning. I may be wrong but I absolutely feel that it was a shill bid and dude was just trying to up his price since the auction was probably a loss at $205. Anonymous bidding is a great way to scam people and up the auction prices. I'm just venting but that really pisses me off. I sent him a counter offer of like $195 and told him what I thought so who knows, maybe I'll get them anyways for cheaper than my actual highest bid.

Shill bidding is tough to pull off. You'd have to be using several different accounts and from different IP addresses because eBay tracks the source of bids via IP and bids from an IP which the sellers account have been logged into through are flagged immediately. I mean really the only way to do it is to have another person bidding your items up and even then eBay tracks payments so if they see the same account bidding on a certain sellers items and not paying repeatedly that is flagged

That's more along the lines of what I meant... A buddy upping the price to help out a seller. The bid history said a lot. For whatever reason it was pretty much only him and I and he was there from the beginning til the end and then suddenly couldn't pay. Too convenient.

Shill bidding is tough to pull off. You'd have to be using several different accounts and from different IP addresses because eBay tracks the source of bids via IP and bids from an IP which the sellers account have been logged into through are flagged immediately. I mean really the only way to do it is to have another person bidding your items up and even then eBay tracks payments so if they see the same account bidding on a certain sellers items and not paying repeatedly that is flagged

I've been f**ed the same way before and is not that hard to pull, just need to... well... is not that hard and I really got mad once that happened to me

Hmmm, it certainly does seem a bit odd.
I hate e***!!
My thing is when you get a bargain and then you get an email saying they've suddenly found a problem with the item and can't sell anymore!!!! I hate that. Like, how did you not spot it whilst you were taking pics!!!!
Sorry, rant over! :biggrin:

Could have been shill bidding, could not have been shill bidding. As a seller on eBay I've had numerous occassions, and twice in the last month, of people bidding on items from the first day they are up (indicating to me a real desire to purchase) and then 7 days later, after winning the auction, suddenly not wanting them. Why people behave in such a way I do not know. Ever since eBay did away with sellers being able to give negative feedback to buyers the number of non-paying bidders and other odd behaviour on the part of buyers has sky rocketed in my experience. So, what I'm saying is don't always assume it's the sellers who are being dodgy.

If you were happy to bid that price then maybe you've actually got lucky in that the other buyer has dropped out.

Some sneaky sellers also have "friends" bid up items to see where true buyers have there highest bid set at. Once they see it the "friends" then due a bid retraction and have others make a final bid near the end of the auction to drive up the price without going over the potential buyers highest bid.

The guy returned my email with my 2nd chance offer and I think he gave it away.... My highest bid in the original auction was below what he paid for them and there was no way he'd accept my 2nd chance offer of $190. Imagine that.

Ive never even heard/seen of a Plasma X Squared frame.

Edit: I just looked it up. I see XS Plasma is a different Plasma and all the other X Metals.

Latest Posts

Back