• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Finally getting back into X-Metals - buying Juliets... new or used?

Juliets to be used as prescription sunglasses:

• Buy brand new ones for $500-600

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Buy slightly used ones for $300-350

Votes: 8 100.0%

• Total voters
haha yea I know, I could have waited a little more, its been years, whats another few weeks. But I had been browsing the exchange and hadn't seen anything that inexpensive, and I had missed out a few I saw on eBay already anyways. You know how it is, common sense says there will be plenty of opportunities, but when you have that itch to buy something you don't want to wait! But I would be more upset if I had dropped $500 or $600 on the NIB ones. At this point I am out $325 and the frame shouldn't need anything done. Not much different that spending $225 on frames and then $75 more on a refurb. And there were 35 bids on the ones I got, so even if I want to resell, I shouldn't have a problem.

Cpl yrs ago I bought a 1995 Sea Doo HX, with the intention of resto-modding it a bit. These are fairly rare skis, hard to find in good shape, if you know jet ski racing you probably know the HX. I needed this plastic trim cap for the hood, and right away I saw a couple on eBay, you can't get many parts for it from the manufacturer anymore, but I figured there would be plenty around, so I did not jump on the ones I saw, they seemed a bit expensive. Turns out those were the last ones I saw for over a year. Talk about Unobtanium. I ended up eventually finding one in Europe, NOS from some shop's back room, using Google translate to contact the seller to see if it was real. I ended up paying about 50% more than the ones I saw at first. So ever since then I don't like to wait when I think I found what I am looking for!

First off, welcome to the forum. Second, I have to say that I agree with everyone else about buying used if you are planning to use them. Once you gain access to the exchange, it's all downhill from there because no one can stop at just one X-Metal.

Thanks! I can see this becoming a problem for me, I just found pictures of member's collections, with Oakley display cases full of glasses and gear! I could see something like that right here in my office...

Welcome to the forum! I have to concur with everyone else. Pick up a good quality second hand set or build from frame up. Having a BNIB set is fine, because it is a collector's item, but unless you plan to wear them from the second you open them, they lose their value the moment you put them on - it was different 10 years ago when you could get a new pair for $375............ not the case anymore. Get on the forum and see all the great possibilities there.

Back