• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Finally! The Romeo's can be worn!!!

I may be biased to a certain degree, but I'd have to agree that Linegear products of quality and very close to oem. I really like Japan made products, they seem to concentrate on quality more than American products, even some of the dollar store products are of suprisingly good quality. Linegear's rubber sets and lenses were impressive for aftermarket and I'd recommend them.

As for my situation with the lens not fitting, there may be a very slight chance that my frame is off, but idk. I still believe the lens was ever so slightly to wide from top to bottom, thus not allowing me to thread the screw down properly. After shaving it down just a hair, I was able to put everything in place easily. I like the Linegear lenses and I'll definitely consider purchasing again.

The Romeo frame is bizarre at times. I had Chop cut me a pair of lenses for the Romeo, fitted them to my Plasma and when I swapped them out to one of my X Metal frames, they didn't fit. I ended up doing some major filing to get them to fit. Congrats on the Romeos, they look really great

Mahalo ucdavis! That is weird, I wonder why it's like that? Was quality control harder to maintain with the R1's? With issues such as the stress cracks on the lenses and fitment issues, it seems like the R1's were destined for a short life span. I'm still glad I finally got one, and more than likely will be on the hunt for more. It's just a bummer that these issues exist on such a nice frame.

damn the set looks cool Uluahunter . . . would be interesting to know, if the washer and rubber are the same quality . . .

damn the set looks cool Uluahunter . . . would be interesting to know, if the washer and rubber are the same quality . . .

Mahalo nerd! I only have the OEM set that my frame came with (and they're in 'ok' shape, not brand new), so I can't be 100% accurate on comparisons. But, that said, I think they are pretty damn close in quality...soft, supple and tacky feeling. I understand that some of the other aftermarket rubbers sometimes have different characteristics...harder, not as flexible and no tackiness. I'll try to get some macro shots up later today for everyone to see them up close.

can't wait for the pics - jiveSEVEN has a set too and he mentioned that they are a bit softer!?

What kind of price would someone expect to pay for a pretty messed up looking pair of Romeos? Original lenses both cracked, looks like gaskets needed and nose rubbers. Most likely earstem rubbers too... no box or coin?

I believe the pair in question is a Titanium - Gold Iridium.

Man I am sorry to hear that. You know I put VL lenses in my Romeos and I actually like them. They fit just fine. Would I rather have OEM.....yep but until I find some at a good price these seem to work just fine.
Anyway yours look great!!

What kind of price would someone expect to pay for a pretty messed up looking pair of Romeos? Original lenses both cracked, looks like gaskets needed and nose rubbers. Most likely earstem rubbers too... no box or coin?

I believe the pair in question is a Titanium - Gold Iridium.

So basically just the frame is what you'll be paying for? If everything else is damaged, cracked, worn or missing, then I'd turn next to the serial #. If the frame has a low serial, they'd still be worth at least $400+. But, if the serial is on the higher end or it's a warranty frame, I wouldn't pay any higher than $350-$400. Don't forget to factor in new lenses and rubbers...and a box and coin (if you want a complete set, though you'd probably never match the serials on the box and frame). I'd offer the seller $300 and see where it goes from there.

Man I am sorry to hear that. You know I put VL lenses in my Romeos and I actually like them. They fit just fine. Would I rather have OEM.....yep but until I find some at a good price these seem to work just fine.
Anyway yours look great!!

Mahalo Brett. I thought about VL and Exovista, but gravitated to Linegear since good things were being said about their products, plus I was already going to order rubbers from them anyway. I'm still looking for an OEM x-metal lens set for my R1, just to store and have as a collector piece. Mahalo for the kind words!

So basically just the frame is what you'll be paying for? If everything else is damaged, cracked, worn or missing, then I'd turn next to the serial #. If the frame has a low serial, they'd still be worth at least $400+. But, if the serial is on the higher end or it's a warranty frame, I wouldn't pay any higher than $350-$400. Don't forget to factor in new lenses and rubbers...and a box and coin (if you want a complete set, though you'd probably never match the serials on the box and frame). I'd offer the seller $300 and see where it goes from there.

Thanks for the great advice. It's a long time friend of mine, so I might get a little better deal, too.