• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Fire Iridium Polarized Etching

Mikey

Oakley Enthusiast
951 Baybee!
Check this out...my latest pickup of a polished Juliet with FIP lenses arrived today. I don't think I've ever owned FIP lenses but these strike me as odd. The etching is not visible on the outside, however it is visible on the inside.

image.jpg

If I put a light behind the lens the etching is visible. Anybody else have this issue? They're definitely polarized lenses but on every other tint it's normally visible.

Thanks. I was immediately struck with the thought of fake lenses. This is the first polarized lens that I've come across like this. It seems like a total QA screwup at the factory though...

wondering myself why that is...i also have my etching on the inside. but one i sold before was on the outside. does it have something to do with the generations?

Not a QC issue, it wouldn't work unless intended. Probably more to do with fire's iridium being a bit more brittle/delicate and not wanting to cause flaking.

Not a QC issue, it wouldn't work unless intended. Probably more to do with fire's iridium being a bit more brittle/delicate and not wanting to cause flaking.
really? never thought there were differences among the iridiums. you learn something new every day...

And now I've seen examples of both inside and outside etching on FIP so it is inconsistent at best. This was just a first for me...

The one for sale of mine is exactly like this one. My thought was the same, but it came in a three piece box. I have a two piece box from an earlier generation FIP, and the etch is on the outside. and also seems weird. The etch is not flaking, but appears so, or blurred or something. It is real, just from an earlier generation. Here is the pic. Sorry its so dirty with fingerprints.
IMG_1672.jpg

Latest Posts

Back