• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Fire Iridium Polz Lens -- Should It Make Things Brighter??

pingmonster

Oakley Beginner
hi..
Just purchased (online) Fire Iridium Polz lens for Radarlock XL
It looks great but when I tried on (really sunny day) it made everything bright, not darker...
Pretty much every colour was intensified.
Is this how it is...

The light transmission is fairly low but its the contrast that the lens produce that makes things bright.

Yeah, brighter isn't really the right word - there's a lot of fine variations to Oakley lens tints, but in general they can be grouped into two categories - neutral and contrast. And by tint I mean the base lens tint, not the colored iridium coating. Iridium is Oakley's mirror-lens treatment, which helps hide the eyes and is supposed to reduce glare.

Neutral just makes things less bright, easy on the eyes. Contrast makes things look sharper (often by filtering out blue haze).

Typically, contrast lenses have higher light transmission rates and are better for less-bright days, but fire pol is an exception - they're a contrast lens with only 10% light transmission (which is very low - BIP and ice pol are 9% but that's as low as it gets).

I love fire pol in the Texas sun because they can handle bright light but are more versatile in changing conditions because of the contrast tint. Plus, the color goes well with burnt orange (Hook 'em!)...

VR28 is classified as contrast but it's really a color enhancer... plus there's contrast tints optimized for golf, fishing, shooting, etc...

Thank you for that Kronin322.
Not that I hate the lens or the colour, I really love it but it was shear shock how bright, sorry...contrast things looked.
Sharp, vibrant and strangely easy on the eye yet it is brighter feeling ....Just love it....

Not that I hate the lens or the colour, I really love it but it was shear shock how bright, sorry...contrast things looked.
Sharp, vibrant and strangely easy on the eye yet it is brighter feeling ....Just love it....

Don't get me wrong, I didn't take your OP to say you hated it; just trying to explain the difference. Glad you're enjoying them.

And welcome to the forum!!!

Kronin323 is spot on. Fire Iridium is a neutral lens. Iridium is a coating that is suppose to reduce light transmission. Take them to your local O-store or Vault and see if they can help you out!

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder! The "contrast" does take some getting used to, but contrast can be fantastic for wash out conditions like in a snow storm or rainy day. Just my .02.

I am not a fan of fire iridium to be honest..

Fire looks awesome when seen from the outside, but it sucks to look through.

I agree. :)

Back