• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

First gen Frogskins lens questions

lololucia

Oakley Beginner
Denver
I just picked up a pair of first gen Dalmation frames, no lenses. I have two questions:

Most people online seem to say current lenses will fit, does anyone have experience with this? Tips?

Also, the original lens in this frame was Bronze Mirror... I believe it was a bronze base with gold iridium, what would be the closest lens to this that I might still get my hands on? Just a bronze?

image.jpg

In my experience, newer lenses (3rd gen) will fit into 1st gen frames ... But mine were tough as heck to put in ...

It appears as the earlier frame material (Selenium they called it?) was stiffer than current O-matter and didnt flex very much at all ...

So while i was trying to flex the frame a bit to fit, i was also worried as hell that id snap it at the same time ...

Long story short, it all worked perfectly and there are no gaps at all and no rattle in the frame ... But you might have to work at it carefully to get em in ."

As for a proper lens colour ... Dark Bronze looks like the closest colour match...but d say its up you ... Switch it up and make em yours!

Im sure a black iridium would look real nice in em!

As above, it will fit, but your fingers will hurt afterwards! Also the tightness of it seemed to bend the arms inwards ever so slightly on the pair I tried once. By that I mean it seemed to curve the front of the glasses ever so slightly so when you rested them flat, the arms were no longer parallel and pointed towards each other a tiny bit.

Like Lexkempo says, the frame material means you can't really 'cheat' by bending the frame to get the lenses in as much as O matter frames. This is what gets me when people say the quality of Oakley is lower, would you prefer to be able to break your sunglasses frame quite easily like 20 years ago?!

Personally, I think they would look cool with any lenses in!

Ex_Oakley_employee, I agree, in the early to mid 90's, I had 5 m-frames/mumbos crack on me, and a pair of Frogskins. It seemed to affect the crystal frame colours the most. My current Radars have lasted 6 years already, I think quality is up, but mad science is down, or maybe we are spoilt for choice sometimes. Quality issues I do still have is the lenses peel(on the inside)like crazy with me. Acidic sweat I guess, and not cleaning them often/well enough.

Not an expert but possible drop the frames in a an optical warmer before you put the lenses in. That might be able to get just a little give to the frame. I dont believe it would be any worse on the frame that leaving them in a hot car during the summer.

I put 3rd gen lenses into first gen frames and they did not fit perfectly. There was a small space between the frame and the lens which did not affect vision but was very annoying.

I put 3rd gen lenses into first gen frames and they did not fit perfectly. There was a small space between the frame and the lens which did not affect vision but was very annoying.

I had the same issue with my 1st gens. I had to end up getting some lenses cut.

I'm surprised that most are saying they actually fit tight.

Back