• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

First pair of X-Metals

Milkypete

Oakley Enthusiast
this has probably been posted a thousand times, but can't find threads thru search function. I'm looking to get my first pair of X-Metals, but of course, price is a consideration. Generally, what would you consider the best starting point? For my first pair, I don't need a shelf queen, with card, coin, perfect box. Just looking to get a nice (6/10 ish) starter pair. I've got a big head, so I'm hoping Romeo or XX, but that's not what I'm seeing, based on availability and general cost. Always appreciate guidance from more experienced collectors.

Size is not as much an option as coverage. the beauty of the xmetal line is that they are actually designed to fit multiple head sized due to the parts that flex. Romeo, XX, Xsquared have the most coverage and generally suite people with larger noggins. Even with that said, I would and always will recommend Juliets for a first xmetal because they are the middle point for all factors; Size, Cost, availability. Not to mention the most accessible and offers the most options. for a starter pair, I would recommend you budget $300 for a pair with good lenses & rubbers, and a good flex to the nosebridge (doesnt require tuneup). you can have some juliets for less BUT, run the risk of spending more after you change out lenses, get them tuned or get other matters fixed.

As far as moving up to larger xmetals, find your pace with the Juliet, and you may find yourself selling it and just adding a little more ($100+ for and XX & XS, $200 for a romeo) to venture on to those frames.

finally, don't discount the rest of the line, they may suite you esp if you budget allows. R2s for example, actually fit huge heads but have the whole half-rim design which does not appeal to everyone.

hope this helps, Good luck with the hunt

Agree, start with Juliets, they're most plentiful and relatively affordable, and were the most popular for a reason.

You can resell them if they don't work out for you, then move in either direction based on your experience with them.

Size is not as much an option as coverage. the beauty of the xmetal line is that they are actually designed to fit multiple head sized due to the parts that flex. Romeo, XX, Xsquared have the most coverage and generally suite people with larger noggins. Even with that said, I would and always will recommend Juliets for a first xmetal because they are the middle point for all factors; Size, Cost, availability. Not to mention the most accessible and offers the most options. for a starter pair, I would recommend you budget $300 for a pair with good lenses & rubbers, and a good flex to the nosebridge (doesnt require tuneup). you can have some juliets for less BUT, run the risk of spending more after you change out lenses, get them tuned or get other matters fixed.

As far as moving up to larger xmetals, find your pace with the Juliet, and you may find yourself selling it and just adding a little more ($100+ for and XX & XS, $200 for a romeo) to venture on to those frames.

finally, don't discount the rest of the line, they may suite you esp if you budget allows. R2s for example, actually fit huge heads but have the whole half-rim design which does not appeal to everyone.

hope this helps, Good luck with the hunt
Ok, it seems Juliets are the model that keeps coming up. Beautiful frames, just worried they may be too small for my pumpkin skull. But, if I can find a pair at the right number, it would be worth it, since they are like a sculpture.

Agree, start with Juliets, they're most plentiful and relatively affordable, and were the most popular for a reason.

You can resell them if they don't work out for you, then move in either direction based on your experience with them.
You know, I hadn't even considered re-selling, but that is a great point: I could possibly recoup some of my investment, if I don't love them!

Just realize, regarding fit - there are different sizes of t-shox available, and they affect fit. If you're worried about a frame being too small, try to get one with size 15 shox.

Back