• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

First release juliet?

Just to give you a little further information - these frames were sand cast, as opposed to the later 'lost wax' method, which means they usually appear a little more unfinished than the frames which followed. They have their own little anomalies, which can include small pits in the frame or rougher areas. the X metal (grey) colour will also be marginally lighter than the later frames which became darker as the years went on. The orbitals will also be fractionally smaller, so later produced lenses be a struggle to fit. If you have a lens custom cut you may wish to mention this to your cutter. Hope this helps.

I was wondering why they were rough looking. I think it's pretty cool. I appreciate your knowledge and I am thankful that all this character was Oakley's doing. Thank you so much. I like them that much more.
No problem at all and I totally agree they are more appealing with their own unique 'hallmarks'. Enjoy them!

Have been for a few months but just now verified the serial. When I noticed the first release thing on the site I was intrigued. It all makes sense now thanks to your reply. You made my day and I cannot thank you enough. I have always loved X metal but something about these seemed different. Knowing that this is the rough draft or standard that led to utter perfection blows my F%&$&%*&% mind. Thanks again.

Glad to help pal and yes they certainly are a work of art which began from a project they were told was impossible to do and there will probably never be anything created in their like again. I personally love how the techniques have evolved with their finishing and different finishes over the years, but the early ones, you just can't beat!

Looking at my Juliet and then examining the perfection in my Madman frame I agree entirely. The innovations of Oakley are unbeatable and their wheels keep turning. I am sad to see the X metal era pass, but I cannot wait to see where they go with the carbon fiber. I know a lot of fans are disappointed with recent changes, but I would encourage them to be optimistic. This is Oakley.

I'm hopeful it will continue in the right direction but after Lux took over, it unfortunately will be cost that inhibits real progression. The Madman and Badman - referred to a the 'next-metals' albeit cynically, from a design point are excellent. It is the materials which have been in question, when linking them to the original X Metals by name. Optically they will be every bit as good I'm sure, if not better with improvements in the prism range, but materials wise they really need to think hard. Carbon fibre may be the only way as I'm sure as eggs are eggs, we won't see the original materials used again. If you read back and search the forum, you will find many threads relating to this topic to peruse at your own leisure.

Back