• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

First Time Buyer - Looking For Advice.

I own two pairs of matte black M-Frames. I have Grey, clear, VR28, and black iridium polarized(BIP) lenses for my 2 frames. I really love the BIP lenses, since they cut glare a ton better than the standard grey.

VR28 is a great lens, but for me it's best used on an overcast day where you're still getting pockets of light. 28% (VR28 stands for Vermillion base with 28% light transmission) is still too dark for me to use on a dark, grey, gloomy, dull day that won't be seeing any sun. I'd go with a persimmon or VR50, or other higher transmission lens.

Oakley has scaled back the M-Frame lens options more and more in the last few years, since the Radar is selling more and getting more use. They have offered a million (give or take) different tints for these lenses, but it will be tough trying to find them.

I believe the Radars are made to fit over helmet straps, and that is the reason the temples are so much wider than the M-Frame.

Strike is a solid choice for cut. It's the second biggest lens. Although the Hybrid isn't much smaller it's cut higher in the cheeks than the Strike, so if the tops of your cheeks touch the Strike lens check the Hybrid. The Hybrid S and Sweep cuts are tiny lenses. The Heater is my personal favorite. Unlike almost every other pair of glasses, the Heater covers almost your entire peripheral vision. The only gaps are where the frame and lens connect in the corners, and at the very bottom edge of the lens. If they fit your face they're a joy to wear and feel like a full-coverage goggle.

If you can find someone to ship to the UK, try to find a military array on eBay. They'll come with a case, grey lens, clear lens, and either persimmon or VR28 lens. One of the array sets I have came with a spare nose piece as well. The second pair I own came with a different case that has a drain and clip, no contrast lens, and the lenses are cut for a clip that sits above the nose to better lock the lenses in, but no spare nose piece. The SI (Standard Issue) lenses use different nose pieces that clip in with two sets of hooks, so be cautious when the time comes to get spares that you're no buying a retail nose piece that won't fit the SI lens.

This is my VR28 Strike
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y279/rustpot/2011-11-04171222.jpg

Grey Strike with ballistic clip (these are a darker grey than my set without the clip, not Warm grey)
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y279/rustpot/2011-11-04171512.jpg

Black Iridum Heater
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y279/rustpot/2011-11-04170931.jpg

LOL - yes, Texas probably does get a little more sun than what i'm used to :)

Amazing information everyone, - just the sort of gold that i've been looking for. There's quite a bit to take in, and it's good to be prepared before walking into a shop and being overwhelmed with choice. Plus as well, some shop assistants are a little clueless... - for instance, the girl on Saturday told me that the mirror effect on the *iridium* glasses i tried on was because they were polarized.

It's really interesting to read feedback on what people have, - thanks for sharing Menendez, - your glasses look good.

Rustpot, superb post, - thanks so much for taking the time. Fantastic info on lenses, excellent. And very interesting about the radars fitting over helmet straps, - makes sense

matt_damon-2.jpg

Not comfortable ordering off ebay though, as I'm sure it's full of fakes..., but it's good to know about the military arrays...

Your M-Frames really do look like they mean business. Love em.

I've found your comparison photos really useful, - i've a much better idea what i'm going to go for now.

Back