• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

First time cerakote

Mobius

Oakley Beginner
Hey all, I am wanting to Cerakote my Gascans in burnt bronze and have seen that the instructions say 150 for two hours. However, my concern is my oven won't go any lower than 170. Would it be okay to bake them at 170 for two hours? Are there any tips/tricks/recommendations for the best finish? I'm hoping the frames won't sag or warp.

Thanks!

Edited to correct spelling and punctuation.

Last edited:
Well, since no one replied, I went ahead and tried it. Apparently I do t know what the hell I am doing. After an hour at 170 I checked them and they had sagged terribly. After a good amount of work I was able to bend them back with the use of boiling water but they have suffered permanent damage.

Can ANYONE give me some suggestions or tips to do this successfully?

did you bother to double check with a thermometer what it was actually reading inside the oven or whatever you used PRIOR to melting your shades? I can tell you, 170 is not a problem for a real Oakley...even the actual suggested 180, based on Cerakote's application guide...But, being too close to the heat source, a faulty oven perhaps heating hotter than the thermostat says or display reads, that can be a problem. most residential ovens have a "buffer" for temps, and are much less accurate than a commercial oven. Always best to get a digital thermometer that has a record history to see what's going on. Like you know, low reading, high reading, and current reading...will save you hundreds of dollars in the end. What melted, the orbital? how did you have them mounted in the oven also? many factors can contribute to your issue(s)

I had mounted with a small wire through the hinge so they were hanging at an angle. it was this side that relaxed im guessing under the weight of the rest of the frames all being held on that one point. No, I didnt check the temp, I should have known to do so as I know residential ovens vary greatly but that was a stupid mistake on my part. I tried to warm them back up in boiling water and shape them back to normal but the frames buckled ina couple spots and though they are mostly acceptable now they are not the way they should be and really are just fit to be beaters.

I have a second pair I would like to try again with but I dont know if Im up to taking the chance again.

remember, wire generally is a conductor...of heat, electricity etc...convection ovens work well, but are costly

Hello

I have one technical question regarding painting with Cerakote so if you were kind and try to give me some answer or tips or at least anyone from forum that have experience.

Some time when I paint with H color and after bake in the oven for exact amount of time and temperature some small parts when I return to place like small screw when I touch with let say screwdriver small part of paint was removed - fall off.

Also I noticed that color fall off from the angles of weapon by itself (rifles and guns).

I don’t know what I do wrong, I have watch all your (also others) Youtube movies about how to use and work with Cerakote H color, also I read all your manuals from your page.

Also I must say that I’m very careful when I degrease all parts.

This is step-by-step process how I wok, if you find anything wrong please inform me.

1.)I prepare surface with mop paper (grinding paper) number. 120 (very nice paper)

2.)Then with mop paper (grinding paper) number number 240

3.)Blasting with fine sand (sandblaster, very fine sand number: 150-250 glass send)

4.)With compresed air remove all remaining send, blow all remaning sand from weapon

5.)Degreasing all parts with acetone for 15 minute

6.)Bake all part in the oven for 20 minuts on 170 0C (338 Fahrenheit)

7.)Again degreasing all parts with acetone for 10 minute until all part are dry

8.)Then I mix color 18:1 for 5 minute (I shake mix for 5 minutes, color + hardner)

9.)Then I paint all parts with Cerakote color

10.)Then again in oven for 2 hour on 120 0C (248 Fahrenheit)

11) Then I leave all parts to to cool down

12.)On the end when all parts are cool down I assemble all parts

That’s all step-by-step, please help me with any tips or info.

Please any tips any info from you is very useful to me.

Thanks & Regards

(please for fast contact use mail: dino.doma@yahoo.com)

Back