• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

First Time Lens Chop 2.0.. Still Chopping Away!!!

xmetalmaniac

Made of Metal
Premium Member
Lifetime Member
Florida
I had a wild idea when I got home today. Since tropical storm Isaac is keeping people inside their homes due to flooding I was bored when I got home. I figured what if I took a pair of black gradient lenses and cut them to fit a frame, no big loss if it didn't work out as the lenses are to light for me. I knew the curve matched perfect, so why not. 30 minutes later I had my first chop. But not my last........
41087083-ed5a-0d67.jpg

looks like a great fit. I have been thinking of trying to cut a set for a while now. Was it pretty easy to do?

Yea it was. I figured I would give it a try since the lenses were a pair I really didn't need. I had everything I needed to get it done. I also got the slight inward bevel too. The edges were wet sanded and lightly polished, and they snapped into place perfectly. The biggest thing I found was make sure when you trace out the original lens onto the new lens you will have to use a fine point permanent marker and make sure you keep the pen straight when you do the trace. Everybody has a slightly different way of doing it. Just make sure the new lens has the same base curve as the original....

thanks for the info. I have a positive red lens that was cut to fit into a x metal xx that I want to cut down for a juliet. I may try later this week.

Back