• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Buying First-time X-Metal buyer

• Thread starter Username Hidden
  • Start date
Im gonna throw my 2 cents in, man. Ive been kicking around here for 4 years now. What i can say is read up on whats what and dont be in a hurry. and if someone is in a hurry to sell you something, its probably not that great of a deal. (not speaking about the propositions above, just in general).

It will be good for you to see what the frames look like IRL. I have never seen a Juliet in person. But i own a X Metal XX (which is larger than Juliet) and i have an X Squared. Lense coverage is not quite like wrap frames, (Valve, Straightlink Badman) but you adjust. The XX and Juliet are similar but the lenses are a couple of MM taller on XX. for a lot of guys, like me, the juliet would be tiny on my face. i always thought X Squared (XS) would be bigger than what it is. So if you can find a way to see some, it will help you decide what you need/want.

Ultimately, there are many great people on this forum and most will try to steer you right. if you search for cacatman in user name he has made a bunch of awesome guides for donor lenses, custom lense cuts (bc you cant buy lenses off the shelf at Oakley) and even pricing. Like all things, prices rise and fall. Tax time tends to be a sellers market bc most people have $$ to blow. right before and right after christmas are when prices drop the lowest. Juliet is usually cheaper than XX and XS.

The finishes are all a matter of your taste, but polished carbon is the rarest/hardest to find within the normal finishes of XS. (Plasma/XMetal/Polished/Carbon/Polished Carbon)
Frames can be refinished/redone/customized.
@Chris A Hardaway is a stand-up honest dude that truly knows his techne custom cutting lenses
when you need them.
Like many others here, i just wanted to help.

Welcome to the hobby/addiction. ;)

Some people reacted to this post.
Username Hidden said:
I’m considering selling my X-squared XM finish/ Ruby lenses, in about a month. I can send you some pictures and more details later today if you want.
That would be awesome man! PM me!

And remember if you have a big face they look like ****. (Personal Experience) Best to go for a Romeo.

Username Hidden said:
And remember if you have a big face they look like ****. (Personal Experience) Best to go for a Romeo.
These are how my Whiskers fit on my face. Are the Juliets similar in size?

16144593143888568606930715385955.jpg

16144593725417587460965550888074.jpg

You should buy X Squared, think you going to feel that the Juliet glasses are a little too small for you

Username Hidden said:
You should buy X Squared, thing you going to feel that the Juliet glasses are a little too small for you
I think juliets are a little smaller than Whiskers aren't they?

Username Hidden said:
I think juliets are a little smaller than Whiskers aren't they?
Yes, the old Whisker is almost same but the new one is a bit bigger i think

Another thing to consider is will this be something you want to wear regularly or will it be
an occasional wear only? i say that bc things like Complete (box, coin, foam, X soft vault, etc) affect the value. For me, when i bought my XX, i didnt care about all the accoutrement bc i bought it to wear. i still wear O matter frames, especially like now when im having @zwc0442 work his refinish magic,(Woot!) but i usually wear my XX daily. while it would be nice to have the box, coin, etc, it will never make a big difference to me on that pair.

I will say, once you get used to a good tight x metal, everything else feels like it will fall off your face and is less than. Especially the Badman. my first "x metal" lol. I joined the forum bc i was searching for info about my Carbon/Ruby Badman bc the card in it said it was a x metal...once i landed here, i learned they were not x metals and not ruby, but Fruby. At any rate, brother, good luck with the hunt.

Back