• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Fist Pair Of Splices W/teardown

Rezechs

Oakley Expert
San Jose, CA
Emerald Irid. Polished Black with Gunmetal Splices... saw these about an hr away locally on craigslist and had to take the drive up to get them... they are in amazing condition just alot of dust and nasty buildup from the previous owner sadly i dont have a T5 bit to open them up and give them a good cleaning which brings me to my question...
Is their anything special i should know before i start unscrewing the 4 T5 screws? do they strip easily?
photobucket-12357-1350173157292.jpg

Emerald Irid. Polished Black with Gunmetal Splices... saw these about an hr away locally on craigslist and had to take the drive up to get them... they are in amazing condition just alot of dust and nasty buildup from the previous owner sadly i dont have a T5 bit to open them up and give them a good cleaning which brings me to my question...
Is their anything special i should know before i start unscrewing the 4 T5 screws? do they strip easily?
photobucket-12357-1350173157292.jpg

nope, they are pretty good with not stripping BUT it can have locked up from rust. spray some wd40 in there (dont leave it on too long, wipe straight away so the FMJ doesnt suffer) then unscrew. also note the FMJ could have stuck itself to the polished black side inside the frame where the 2 halves meet, so again, open slowly to prevent FMJ cracking. otherwise, you have an awesome pair once cleaned up =)

Dont forget to wash off all the WD40 and other gunk in there with soap well.. =)

Was 2 impatient went to home depot and bought a Torx Set took pics of the teardown also looks 100x better now... not sure if i should leave out the nosebombs tho as they fit rather well w/o them and dont leave any pressure marks still...also am supprised by the metal studs in the frame i assumed the screws would just screw into the plastic frame another A+ for oakley quality.
photobucket-8788-1350177750299.jpg

After
photobucket-4872-1350177661099.jpg

Was 2 impatient went to home depot and bought a Torx Set took pics of the teardown also looks 100x better now... not sure if i should leave out the nosebombs tho as they fit rather well w/o them and dont leave any pressure marks still...also am supprised by the metal studs in the frame i assumed the screws would just screw into the plastic frame another A+ for oakley quality.
photobucket-8788-1350177750299.jpg

After
photobucket-4872-1350177661099.jpg

Your first pic is a very good example how disgusting some sellers are.
I would never sell such a dirty pair.
Clean them with a non-alcoholic antibacterial soap an you have a very nice pair.

Back