• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Fit And Finish Of Romeo Frame Question

miramesa

Oakley Beginner
San Diego
Just got a pair of Romeo's! and I'm curious what is the typical fit and finish of the stock frame? Are they usually rough in texture or smooth. I think I have a 1st gen model as there is no letter after the serial number if this matters.

Just got a pair of Romeo's! and I'm curious what is the typical fit and finish of the stock frame? Are they usually rough in texture or smooth. I think I have a 1st gen model as there is no letter after the serial number if this matters.

Not familiar with Romeo's unfortunately but I do know the 1st gen juliets had a rougher finish. I would imagine it's the same for Romeo's. No letter after the serial number means 1st generation I believe!

Frame finish and serial number would be invaluable to answer your question.

@350nick just recently bought juliets from oakley.com and the finish on it was nice and smooth so I thought it would be the same

@CarGuy judging from the pictures of o-review i believe it to be x-metal sn=038172

@350nick just recently bought juliets from oakley.com and the finish on it was nice and smooth so I thought it would be the same

@CarGuy judging from the pictures of o-review i believe it to be x-metal sn=038172

I think later generations like your juliets have a different, smoother finish though. 1st generation juliets had quite a rough finish I have heard. Romeos being an older model will likely be the same finish as 1st generation juliets. I may be wrong but seems logical.

Unfortunately I can't afford Romeos at the moment, would love a pair!

judging from the pictures of o-review i believe it to be x-metal sn=038172
So it is an earlier one. Over time X Metals were "improved" during the course of their lifespans. I don't know if that's the right word but that's what they were trying to do.
I'm not sure if they were really "improved" but they sure were "different". Earlier frames were rougher which I think gives them a little more personality and is a reminder that they really are metal.
Plasma started with a more "boney" colored and textured finish and got smoother. Yesterday XMan informed us that over time the Juliet orbital tabs changed which impacted the tightness of the nose flex coupler.
Some collectors prefer the earlier finishes to later ones, some owners prefer the looser flex coupler and so on.
38172 is a somewhat earlier Romeo so it would not surprise me that it is a little rougher and might exhibit some flashing/ rough spots in the casting around the nose piece.
Hope this helps and welcome to the forum!

@350nick Yea it took me awhile to finally bite the bullet and get the romeo's. In the end I was happy with it to the point i keep looking at myself in the car mirror saying 'damn it looks good!!' (haha)

@CarGuy that does make sense to improve a product over its lifespan. I do like the rougher finish tho. when i got the juliets it was nice and smooth but i wanted to baby it but since getting the romeo's with its rough character i find myself not as nice to it and becoming my daily shades

Thanks guys for the input! and thanks for the welcome

Back