• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Fix a Beater Juliet

Fresh

I should Work at Oakley
Mexico City
So, I finally got my carbon Juliet and I love it. I love the fit, the weight, and the color, its just one sexy set of shades to have. Now, at the same time I've got a beater plasma juliet (currently on the sales threads) and I'm considering keeping it. I'd like to have it restored, I think sending it to the XMan would be the first thing to do, a tune up, and a respray (I thinks thats what is is called), I can then replace the rubbers and have a very nice 2nd set of Juliets. Now my question here is, is it worth the money? Sending it to the Xman with shipping will cost around $125, I can get the rubbers for $30 here in Mexico and I already have a couple of lenses to use, so that would be no cost. In the end the total cost would be around $350 for everything (frame included). I know that for that kind of money you could already get a decent Juliet, but then again I would need to hunt it down and look for someone willing to ship to Mex. So what do you say? Sell it? Restore it?
Let me know your thoughts, I'd like to see what you guys think.

Ps. It is a non serial Juliet Plasma, so I was thinking into seitching it ito an XMetal finish, but I don't know if that is a good idea

Not sure what you have invested $$ wise in the frame but Oakley.com has new Juliet rubber kits ($10.00), XMAN re-finish with tune-up is $80.00 (+ what ever shipping to Mexico will cost) If you plan to restore and keep, cost will not matter much........IF you plan to restore and sell, you will most likely never get your money back.

Beater frame in need of tune-up, rubber, and lenses is worth ~$180.00
Frame with tight nose (or tuned-up), good rubber, and at least decent lenses is worth $250.00-$275.00

I have seen he X-Man's work and it's simply jaw-dropping. My buddy sent in a really beat up pair of Julies, and he got them back BETTER than new and they were rock solid. I don't think they will ever wear out. I sent a set of Pennys in to him today. The frame was in need of a tune up, and last I heard....Oakley (in the USA) doesn't like to repair Pennys that often. The X-Man will. And since I have always wanted a black set of Pennys, I am having him cerekote the frame in black as well as tune them. I really can't wait to get them back. I am also having a large assortment of different color lenses cut, but I think I will be using chrome and 24k for the black ones....maybe ruby as well. Will probably use the ruby on my XMs though.

I might just very well send in another set of Pennys to have done in black because I don't want to keep swapping out lenses in my frames to match my clothes or current wardrobe....I know that might sound silly. But in all honesty, I would send them to the X-Man. Glasses that he has customized that I have seen listed on eBay have fetched a lot more than other standard XMs. A great move for yourself or as an investment. IMHO.

Harry

Not sure what you have invested $$ wise in the frame but Oakley.com has new Juliet rubber kits ($10.00), XMAN re-finish with tune-up is $80.00 (+ what ever shipping to Mexico will cost) If you plan to restore and keep, cost will not matter much........IF you plan to restore and sell, you will most likely never get your money back.

Beater frame in need of tune-up, rubber, and lenses is worth ~$180.00
Frame with tight nose (or tuned-up), good rubber, and at least decent lenses is worth $250.00-$275.00

The rubbers kits only include the ear and nose pieces. No gaskets or temple shox.

But everything else sounds pretty solid. If your going to resell or custom to your taste I would just keep. Your not going to make money off of it. Your better off just selling as is if you rather have the money.

Like wicked stated, for a bare frame depending on condition, finish and generation you can get 180-220.

So, I finally got my carbon Juliet and I love it. I love the fit, the weight, and the color, its just one sexy set of shades to have. Now, at the same time I've got a beater plasma juliet (currently on the sales threads) and I'm considering keeping it. I'd like to have it restored, I think sending it to the XMan would be the first thing to do, a tune up, and a respray (I thinks thats what is is called), I can then replace the rubbers and have a very nice 2nd set of Juliets. Now my question here is, is it worth the money? Sending it to the Xman with shipping will cost around $125, I can get the rubbers for $30 here in Mexico and I already have a couple of lenses to use, so that would be no cost. In the end the total cost would be around $350 for everything (frame included). I know that for that kind of money you could already get a decent Juliet, but then again I would need to hunt it down and look for someone willing to ship to Mex. So what do you say? Sell it? Restore it?
Let me know your thoughts, I'd like to see what you guys think.

Ps. It is a non serial Juliet Plasma, so I was thinking into seitching it ito an XMetal finish, but I don't know if that is a good idea
I think you should keep them. Then decide what to do with them but sending them to @THE X-MAN would be better than trying to find new frames and go through a whole process.

Thanks to all for your valuable opinions. I'm really tempted to keep them, and since they are 4th gen (no serial) I guess they can be refinished and nothing would be lost. I like the XMetal finish, but they are currently Plasma, do you think changing to XMetal would be bad? Or should I just stick to Plasma Ice (I really like that combo, my brother's Penny is just like that and it is awesome), or I was thinking XM and some greenish or purpleish lenses.
XMan: the black tie looks pretty cool, but I'm more of a OEM guy, I like 1 color finishes. Thanks for the example though

BTW, anyone willing to send me an OME Juliet rubber set? The one sold at Oakley.com (I've already got washers), I tried buying one but it wouldn't let me ship it to Mexico. If anyone is willing to help I'll gladly buy you a Juliet set as well. You can ship my set with the cheapest mail possible, I don't mind.

Thanks again to all

Back