• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Flak 2.0 - lens thickness

You are comparing apples to oranges my friend.

As @Oak Heel said, when you increase the front base curve, it increases the back base curve to be extremely thick.

If I were you I'd consider myself lucky that Oakley technology even allows that Rx in a wrap. In the good old days 10 years ago you could only go up to a -3.00 on a wrap and it'd be extremely distorted and chunky beyond that.

Also, your old frame is way smaller.. Probably like a 52 mm width (my guess) and flak 2.0 xl is more like a 60 mm width (estimated again)... Diagonal your old lenses might be 54-55mm tops, new flak 2.0 xl is about 68ish mm wide.

So 1) curve, 2) increased diameter of lenses needed. And lastly:

3) oakleys are made to be safe and impact resistant, so minimum center thickness would be 2.0 mm

You need a caliper to measure the centers. Your old glasses were probably between 1.2 and 1.6mm in center. These are probably 2.0 to 2.2 mm in center.

Considering your eyes needs, if your vision is good, Oakley did an excellent job. From a physics and engineering stand point .... That is, unless you measure the center and its 2.5mm or above. Then they need to regrind / redo thinner.

Pro tip. Measure center, they can't make edges thinner, that would make your RX weaker and incorrect.
Thank you Chris for all the info. I'll get better caliper to allow me measure lens at the center and I'll write what I have found.

Thank you Chris for all the info. I'll get better caliper to allow me measure lens at the center and I'll write what I have found.
Sounds good...
Find something like these or even better technology out there now.
16268282663363275600314500079215.jpg

I notice my Rx square wires get pretty thick around the edges whereas my regular optical glasses don’t have that flare on the edges and I always assumed it was due to base curve. Now I know! That also explains the ‘fishbowl‘ phenomenon when I where my Rx square wires right away when I put them on.

how are so thick lenses able to fit in the Flak 2.0 frame?
Perhaps the lenses are thin where they make contact with the frame and then rest of the lens is thick?

how are so thick lenses able to fit in the Flak 2.0 frame?
Perhaps the lenses are thin where they make contact with the frame and then rest of the lens is thick?
You can see it in the picture where it would latch in, it's the normal thickness then steps up drastically from there where it clears the groove.

Latest Posts

Back