• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Flak 2.0 replacement icons?

yanki01

Oakley Beginner
There's some on the bay but made for the radars. Would they be the same size as the Flak 2.0? Also, how would one "save" the icons for multiple use? A little heat/hair dryer to remove and keep the sticky? I don't plan on swapping them every day buy would like to keep the options and not have any problem.

If it flak jacket 2.0 you can use radar icons. 95 percent fit, I tried put radar icon in them and it works. Doesn't need be perfect.

For my flak jacket 2.0 I even used radarlock icons, since icons are new and super sticky it worked.

The top pair has orange radarlock icons in them!! Rather have the icons match the sock , then not match.

IMG_8755_zpsh0n0ee2r.jpg

Last edited:
There's some on the bay but made for the radars. Would they be the same size as the Flak 2.0? Also, how would one "save" the icons for multiple use? A little heat/hair dryer to remove and keep the sticky? I don't plan on swapping them every day buy would like to keep the options and not have any problem.
don't use heat or a hair dryer to remove them...you just make more headache for yourself with the tapes. Best way to do them, and I have messed with a ton of methods, is to first press them down real firm all around, trust me, it sounds wrong, but it's right. Then get a tiny straight screwdriver (1/16" is ideal) or even an upholstery needle (thicker than normal sewing needle) and get under the icon at an angle and lift slightly as you progress. If you can lift 1 end enough, then slide the screwdriver (my preferred tool) under and pop it up quickly. Make sure though, you have your thumb or a finger on the icon, or it's gonna fly! Pressing them down first insures that the tape on the icons is stuck to the icon pretty well and avoids ripping the stuff or leaving half behind. In case you do, just use some nice pointy tweezers and lift it out of the frame and stick it back on the icon, it won't ruin it at all.

I used to use the whole "dip in boiled water" method, which also works, but if you have an acetate frame, you're gonna screw it up and tweak it since heat allows those to be adjusted, or it can mess up things if left in too long or it's too hot. The above method works for me better than anything else and you retain the oem adhesive damn near every time. If they are hot, the tape is gummy and will stretch, rip and what not. Or even worse, the metal shell of the actual icon will delaminate from the plastic/rubbery base material under it..Then you have to re-glue that too. Plus, this way you don't have a frame that's hot and slightly soft, so you have less chance of dented the O Matter when you pry it loose.

A noob question.

Which icon from other frame model(s) should I keep a look out for to replace my Radarlocks icons?

i have brand new icons for jawbreaker ,radar and flack jackets 2.0 for sale .

all icons looks different sizes and find difficult to make it fit on a smaller hole and vice-verse because the hole is to big for a small icon
i also have for radarlocks and many others

The icons are glued on with an adhesive, warm with a blow dryer for 30 seconds or so.

Take a Pin or sewing needle and GENTLY pry up around the edges of the icon.

Don't fall to temptation of prying one end up and trying to rip the icon out. The icon is metal and will bend, or the adhesive will separate. Just work your way slowly around the outside edge until it starts to lift out.

Continue to use the pin to lift away at the icon. It's attached with "booger glue" so make sure that it comes with the icon and does not remain stuck to the frame.

Now that the icon is off, stick it to a piece of wax paper and move on to the next icon or move it to the glasses you want these icons to stick on, you can repeat this procedure two or three times or until the glue dries up.

don't use heat or a hair dryer to remove them...you just make more headache for yourself with the tapes. Best way to do them, and I have messed with a ton of methods, is to first press them down real firm all around, trust me, it sounds wrong, but it's right. Then get a tiny straight screwdriver (1/16" is ideal) or even an upholstery needle (thicker than normal sewing needle) and get under the icon at an angle and lift slightly as you progress. If you can lift 1 end enough, then slide the screwdriver (my preferred tool) under and pop it up quickly. Make sure though, you have your thumb or a finger on the icon, or it's gonna fly! Pressing them down first insures that the tape on the icons is stuck to the icon pretty well and avoids ripping the stuff or leaving half behind. In case you do, just use some nice pointy tweezers and lift it out of the frame and stick it back on the icon, it won't ruin it at all.

I used to use the whole "dip in boiled water" method, which also works, but if you have an acetate frame, you're gonna screw it up and tweak it since heat allows those to be adjusted, or it can mess up things if left in too long or it's too hot. The above method works for me better than anything else and you retain the oem adhesive damn near every time. If they are hot, the tape is gummy and will stretch, rip and what not. Or even worse, the metal shell of the actual icon will delaminate from the plastic/rubbery base material under it..Then you have to re-glue that too. Plus, this way you don't have a frame that's hot and slightly soft, so you have less chance of dented the O Matter when you pry it loose.
Great advice. Have you ever tried changing color of earsocks? Oakley does not have what I want. What paint would you recommend? Thanks

Latest Posts

Back