• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Flak 2.0 Rx Distortion/Blurring On Outer Edges

airbusA346

Oakley Beginner
Hi,

At the beginning of this month I collected my prescription sunglasses lenses for Flak 2.0 frames from my local optician in the UK (Lenses were ordered from Oakley). When I quickly tried them on in the shop everything seemed fine, but it was a very quick affair, but upon wearing them properly I have noticed a problem when wearing them. The outer edges (closest to the arms) are blurred/distorted (the centre is OK). So effectively I've got no useable peripheral vision.

I went back to the optician to see what they said about the issue. Their response was it's because of the shape of the lens and Oakley have digitally optimised the lenses, so therefore the lenses and prescription are correct/match. It was a Saturday, so they couldn't speak to Oakley, so they told me to see if I can get used to them.

When I tried them the other day they were making me feel a bit nauseous and even though it's my peripheral vision I can just see the edge of the distortion when looking ahead so it's a bit like tunnel vision.

My prescription is apparently on the extreme end of what Oakley can do and the sunglasses range is VERY limited, so much so that all the frames I liked are discontinued and I had to buy the frames separately from France (Only place in stock, 100€) and then buy the prescription lenses from my local optician (£280.00). I was surprised at how thick Oakley had made the lenses and to me the exposed edges of the lenses look polished, even though that wasn't mentioned as an option when I ordered them (not sure if that can causes part of the distortion).

My Prescription:
Distance
Right Sph:
Right Cyl: -0.25
Right Axis: 10

Left Sph: -4.75
Left Cyl: 0.25
Left Axis: 175

Is it possible Oakley have screwed something up? Do you think they can sort the problem out, because I can't use them, especially for driving.

My current/old Oakley Minute sunglasses don't have this issue, but they are about 4-5 prescription changes/15 years old (but I can still see pretty well with them).

Thanks
Tom. :)

Photo 26-08-2022, 7 34 03 am.jpg Photo 26-08-2022, 7 34 28 am.jpg

The lenses are nothing special, no polarisation or Prizm.

I’m guessing it’s due to the wrap of the frame causing the outer edges to be like that. When I wore Rx sunglasses anything higher than a 6 based frame was like that for me too- kind of gives a ‘fishbowl‘ effect when looking through them.

I’m guessing it’s due to the wrap of the frame causing the outer edges to be like that. When I wore Rx sunglasses anything higher than a 6 based frame was like that for me too- kind of gives a ‘fishbowl‘ effect when looking through them.
Likely the base curve

@Chris A Hardaway thoughts?

Hi. I work for Oakley. The thickness is due to your high prescription and the curve of the lenses. There is absolutely nothing wrong with them. The vision will never be as good as a normal frame.

You need to ask them to double check your PD and OC height. It sounds like they already checked the rx. But they could double check that again.

If the OC height ir PD is off that will add to the issue, they'll need to be remade if that is the case.

Sounds like it's been a long time since you had an rx sunglass if you are still wearing minutes. Do you wear contact lenses more often? Or just flatter smaller glasses.

Good luck. If they are made right you'll get used to them. You just can't wear any of your old glasses. Make sure all your newest glasses are up to date and being worn. Maybe don't wear your contact lenses for a week. That will help you adapt too.

Agreed w above they aren't thick. That looks great considering your script and frame size. If you want thing. Get a small frame like Oakley tincup.

Having finally been back to the optician. The lenses measure up to what was ordered and they said the heights etc are right.

They've spoken to Oakley UK who have said they can't do anything because there is 'nothing wrong with them'.

The optician measured my 15 year old Oakley Minutes to check the prescription and the right eye is pretty much the same as the one in the Flak 2.0, but my left eye is 3 doppler different.

The optician seems to think the digital optimisation is the issue. So why can't they make the lenses the old fashioned way without the digital optimisation?

It has nothing to do with old lens design v new lens design. You have to accept your prescription is very high, particularly for a frame like the Flak. If the vision isn’t acceptable to you, ask for a refund and get a regular frame. I’m afraid your expectations are too high and there isn’t an easy fix.

Having finally been back to the optician. The lenses measure up to what was ordered and they said the heights etc are right.

They've spoken to Oakley UK who have said they can't do anything because there is 'nothing wrong with them'.

The optician measured my 15 year old Oakley Minutes to check the prescription and the right eye is pretty much the same as the one in the Flak 2.0, but my left eye is 3 doppler different.

The optician seems to think the digital optimisation is the issue. So why can't they make the lenses the old fashioned way without the digital optimisation?
The actual machines have changed to be CNC machines. They are 10 times plus more precision. So there is no "old style" lap tools at Oakley's lab. These machines cut faster, more precise, etc etc. So the old way doesn't exist at a lab like Oakley. Maybe if you get a refund from them. You can use that to buy flatter frames from their (your opticians) non Oakley lab.

Back