• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Flak 2.0 = The best

I'm probably one of the biggest and most vocal "Original" Radar fans out there...I have and use around 14 or so pair, but I gotta go with @Rustpot on this one. M Frames. The original and still the best. My first pair ever in the early 90's with heater lens, they were everything Oakley said they were and more. Lost them eventually and switched to Radars and am still "Chasing that high" of those M's...

And one of my collecting goals is to reclaim an original M-frame with heaters.

I don't believe in there being a clear-cut answer because fit is another variable. Someone can say the Straight Jacket or Monster Dog does everything they need from eyewear because they mate to their face so perfectly. M-Frames, as extensive of a system that they are, still won't work for me unless I do some hack job with a nosepiece — although Oakley has provided the EV Zero with a secondary option...so this really a flaw by the brand, not the M-Frames themselves.

In the scope of lens retention, I feel that Switchlock pairs are the more ideal blueprint. Didn't that one MLB pitcher lose a lens after getting in a fist fight? Detachment can happen, albeit some pairs may do better than others. Problem here is that Oakley never entirely executed the overall potential with this setup. The Radarlock failed to offer relief profiles. Both that and the Jawbreaker induce wear on the lens surface towards the temples.

In respect to the Flak 2.0 in particular, the Radar EV carries over similar cues with a wider viewing range and tighter fit, and assembled with one less piece (the second lens). That's not to say the Radar EV is necessarily outright better, but it's not like the Flak truly covers all bases. I am a fan of the stem design of these two. They manage to be firm but so far seem not so prone to causing irritation with wear.

Right now I'm still big on the Jawbreakers. A literal drop-in swapping system that should never allow lens pop-outs, and the only active shield pair which is most appropriate to handle at the orbitals and set-down casually. Big flaw is the sophistication. I personally don't see much merit in the stem adjustment. Would've just kept it on the longest/tightest setting, but then again my head isn't like the next that might benefit from it. Possible answer to this could be the new Wind Jacket. Full-frame shield again, with simple stems and optional strap compatibility (+ gasket?). Of course the swapping (if even possible) would be the downside, and the thing is massive. It's pretty much a snow goggle substitute.

The M-Frame has the biggest legacy by miles, but ultimately it's each to their own.

They are incredibly light but I never wear mine, I use M2 instead because I much prefer lens that cover the entire field of vision.

I've owned several 2.0 and I mean like 6 and just can't find the comfort zone. Still have my 1st pair of M Frames, but am really digging the EV's I have now.

My oakley love started with M frames.. My first pair was a M frame sweep grey lens... I wear it almost everytime specially with heater lenses..still my favourite is blue iridium heater lens .for new pairs i love radar ev.. It fits me better than radars...i don't have flak 2.0 but i think many people like this because it has two lenses than one shield lens...it has a little bit more casual look.

Flak 2.0 Meh

I had one pair and sold them
The parifial vision of the hinge and ear stem killed it for me, I hate to see any part of the lens or frame from side to side
The frame seemed to narrow

YMMV

Glad I'm not the only one who dislikes this about the Flak 2.0. I'd have to say the original Flaks are better IMO.

I never looked good in M Frames but I tried too lol. Those represented everything Oakley was.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I don't believe in there being a clear-cut answer because fit is another variable.

THIS.

For me, so far I've only found 2 frames that fit me, the Tinfoil Carbon and the Flak 2.0 Asia fit.

I've tried the Tincan, but the lenses are a little bit taller than the Tinfoil, so they touch my cheeks more than I find comfortable.

I've also tried a few M2 and EV style (Asia fit) frames, but none of them work for me. Either their sit on my cheeks, or they end up hitting my forehead so that the nosepads don't make contact to my nose.

Even the Tinfoil Carbon isn't a great fit -- I need to bend the temples out quite a bit so that will fit around my fat head, but it's mostly comfortable.

I don't need to fiddle with the frames of the Flak 2.0 Asia fit in any manner. I don't think I've ever had that experience in the 30+ years of wearing glasses. I just open the box, pull out the frames and put them on. That's it.

I just wished there were more lens choices for the Asia fit.

Back