• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Flak 2.0 XL RX bummer?

TheKog

Oakley Beginner
I just got some Flak 2.0 XLs in my RX with the Prizm Dark Golf lens. I was so excited when they arrived, but am now having some regret. As you can see from the attached pics the labs left significant areas in the top corners completely unfinished. I was so surprised, is this normal?

It creates edges in my vision that are totally absent in the non RX version, and at no point in the purchase process was I advised that they would be different or deficient compared to the non RX.

The folks I bought them through cannot confirm whether this is wrong or right, although they have offered a refund.

What I really want is the product I thought I was buying. The frame and the dark golf Prizm color are awesome, but this is a deal breaker for a wrap around design, especially at this price point.

Are my expectations unreasonable? The 1mm border is ok, but the big area the size of a pinky finger nail at the top corners has left me with extreme buyers regret. And I have no way to deal directly with the Oakley labs. The support people at Oakley.com said they are not involved in RX issues and that they are just an online store for non rx, and I have no opportunity to chat with the labs that made them.

What a shame that the RX version of a flagship premium golf product looks like it was made by a lab with no regard for the products' designed intent.

Any comments or advice is greatly appreciated

20190607_202109.jpg
20190607_202101.jpg

Normal, that's the way every single RX flak 2.0 xl looks. Try looking through the lens, instead of at it when wearing. They should be just fine. It takes a little to moved past it. Not sure why Oakley took what looks like a lazy approach to processing and programming the shelf bevel design. But it is what it is. They will take them back and exchange for another model within 60 days if you don't like them. Half Jacket 2.0xl and Flak Jacket (oo9008-oo9009) XLJ don't have that issue. But those frames only come in 2-3 colors now.
Don't get me wrong, but you are just being more picky than 99% and that's ok. But again it's totally normal and I'd hope when golfing you don't fade shots that far anyway :)

Normal, that's the way every single RX flak 2.0 xl looks. Try looking through the lens, instead of at it when wearing. They should be just fine. It takes a little to moved past it. Not sure why Oakley took what looks like a lazy approach to processing and programming the shelf bevel design. But it is what it is. They will take them back and exchange for another model within 60 days if you don't like them. Half Jacket 2.0xl and Flak Jacket (oo9008-oo9009) XLJ don't have that issue. But those frames only come in 2-3 colors now.
Don't get me wrong, but you are just being more picky than 99% and that's ok. But again it's totally normal and I'd hope when golfing you don't fade shots that far anyway :)

The man....

The myth....

Th legend!

Thank you so much Chris! I knew the experts would be here if anywhere (they certainly are not at Oakley). I will try to work through it, but I gotta tell you I agree they are lazy, and if they advertised this in advance would pay a reputation price that is clearly due. I would not have ordered them had I known this in advance.

So sad such a premium product is executed so poorly by the lab in this day and age where better quality should be a concern.

I really wanted the Prizm dark golf in the Mercenary frame but Oakley is not offering the golf lens in RX for that frame.

Great forum and thanks again!

There are so many nuances and intricacies of RX, plus they keep adding and subtracting frames to the collection so fast no one can keep track of it. Is this RXable, is this not, etc?. Now that Essilor and Luxottica merged to form Essilor-Luxottica Oakley has lost its RX touch and doesn't feel like premium concierge service anymore. Did you guys know they won't even let you send a frame in? If you have a used frame and need lenses they send lenses only (and they don't always fit). Total pain. I feel you man @TheKog , I guess they knew they'd lost a few sales if they told people.

I had same issue trying to get MJ to redo some lens to new RX etc - they wouldn't do it without a new sale thru 3rd party. Sigh, pockets of excellence getting more rare everyday. Glad I didn't order progressive lol, bet they have no clue on how to render a tiny seg index for outdoor applications.

Yes this issue is clearly kept on DL. I could find nothing anywhere online till I found this forum. Wonder what they would think if it showed up in prominent golf mag or being discussed on Edwin watts golf radio shows ;-)

Again much appreciated.

Latest Posts

Back