• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Flak jacket xlj 1.0

chad S.

Oakley Expert
TN
New to oakley here, bought my first pair last month flak jacket 1.0 xlj. After purchasing I discovered the model was discontinued, I love these shades. How concerned should I be about replacement lenses for the future? Should I stock up on what I may want later, right now or do you guys think lenses and ear socks will be around for awhile?

You should be OK for quite a while in my opinion. They aren't fully discontinued yet and according to the list I saw the models that are still current are NOT included on the next batch of discontinued stuff in February.

Ok thanks, there's a couple set of lenses I'd like to have. I'm not sure if I like the 2.0 yet

There are not only lenses available from Oakley, a lot of people with XLJ's will probably have some for sale. I think XLJ lenses may become a little harder to find than regular Flak AJacket lenses just because XLJ's provide considerably better coverage than regular Flak lenses.
I do think that if You want PRIZM XLJ lenses, I would but them sooner rather than later. I love my XZlJ's, and I bought my PRIZM lensesb just so I didn't get left out in the cold. I think a lot of people with Regular Flak Jackets will want XLJ PRIZM lenses. Since XLJ lenses fit Regular Flak Jacket Frames, Oakley may not make PRIZM XLJ lenses in quantities high enough to fill the demand for every frame of both types that they have sold. With the popularity of the PRIZM lenses, if Oakley quits making Flak 1.0 lenses some people could get left out in the cold over time.
Who knows, but if there are lenses that You want badly it may be a good idea to just buy them now.

Mine came with ice iridium, I'd like to pick up black and grey iridium as well. Amazon has a good deal on a white frame 1.0 with blue ear socks, I'm thinking hard about picking them up for 79$

There are not only lenses available from Oakley, a lot of people with XLJ's will probably have some for sale. I think XLJ lenses may become a little harder to find than regular Flak AJacket lenses just because XLJ's provide considerably better coverage than regular Flak lenses.
I do think that if You want PRIZM XLJ lenses, I would but them sooner rather than later. I love my XZlJ's, and I bought my PRIZM lensesb just so I didn't get left out in the cold. I think a lot of people with Regular Flak Jackets will want XLJ PRIZM lenses. Since XLJ lenses fit Regular Flak Jacket Frames, Oakley may not make PRIZM XLJ lenses in quantities high enough to fill the demand for every frame of both types that they have sold. With the popularity of the PRIZM lenses, if Oakley quits making Flak 1.0 lenses some people could get left out in the cold over time.
Who knows, but if there are lenses that You want badly it may be a good idea to just buy them now.
Same frame just different sized lenses.

That's what I meant. Since a lot of people who originally bought Regular Flak Jacket shades, have found that they prefer XLJ lenses because the coverage is so much better.
If Oakley kept track, and they sold 1 million Regular Flak Jackets, and 900,000 XLJ shades, how many Deep Water PRIZM Polarized lenses will they make for the Flak 1.0 frame. Will they make enough XLJ Deep Waters to fill all of the needs of Regular Flak Jackets and the XLJ buyers before they completely stop making Flak and XLJ lenses altogether.
I see a shortage now of XLJ Black Iridium Polarized lenses, and I really think the Deep Water PRIZM Polarized lens is one that a lot of people will want. It's just a great lense, and it comes in both Flak 1.0 and Flak XLJ 1.0.
I think that when Oakley stops making Flak 1.0 and Flak XLJ Shades and lenses, there will be a shortage of certain XLJ lenses, so a lot of people who want a pair of Deep Water XLJ Lenses will have to settle for Regular Flak Deep Water PRIZM lenses, or possibly none at all.
So, I think that if You want the really great lenses for Your Flak Jacket frames, You should get on the stick and buy them now before the shortage becomes an issue, and possibly prices for some lenses will go higher. It all depends upon when Oakley stops making cetain lenses and devotes all manufacturing to Flak 2.0 and Flak XL 2.0.

Back