• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Flak Jacket XLJ bubbling and peeling

Thanks guys! Yes, a Ferrari will rust just like a Pinto...but they didn't cost the same! LOL

I love these glasses. It sucked having to wear them for a week like this in Burma! Back home now, got my cheapie Bolle's for now. Will have to figure out what to do now.

P.S. As stated before, I've taken good care of these glasses. I've washed them with soap and water many times. But obviously, something happened. Of all the glasses I've owned over the years, this has never happened.
This doesn't happen to all Oakley's when touched by dirt man. I've bought NUMEROUS pairs off eBay with S**T for lenses that were dirty, scratched, complete garbage. You wouldn't believe the gunk and face oil I cleaned out of the orbitals when I removed most of those lenses. You know how many of them had the peeling issue? ZERO! The only one I've ever had with peeling was a gently used and well taken care of pair. So I'm sure keeping the lenses clean is a good thing, but there has to be some reason other than sweat and face grime that causes peeling...

The exact type of soap used to clean them can easily be a factor. I always used Dawn dish soap on my Oakley lenses for many years, but after reading this thread and many others with similar outcomes, I have ordered Oakley cleaning fluid. I have never sprayed cleaner and wiped it off with an Oakley Microfiber cloth. So, I sprayednthe lense, took a brand new cleaning cloth out of Oakley's zip-lock bag, and put a small scratch on the inside of the lense.
So, I sprayed Oakley fluid, gently rubbed the lense with a perfectly clean fingertip, and rinsed them with water. My lenses are Hydrophobic, so I just gently touched the few spots of remaining water with a kleenex, and all was great except for the scratch left by the brand new Microfiber cloth.
So, I now have a new cleaning solution made by Oakley, so if anything goes wrong, I'll know WHAT NOT To use.

should this happen to Asian humid and hot climate?
I had a pair of JawBone Jupiter which I bought for collection only (never wear it though), but the lense peel off after 2 years..
JawBone Jupiter16.JPG
JawBone Jupiter17.JPG

should this happen to Asian humid and hot climate?
I had a pair of JawBone Jupiter which I bought for collection only (never wear it though), but the lense peel off after 2 years..
View attachment 281919 View attachment 281921
I think humidity doesn't affect it, nor does heat.i left my radars in their case for 3 years without wearing them, and they were still covered in dirt and dried sweat stains. I washed them clean just recently and they look brand new. There has to be some manufacturing defect.

My recent post in the frogskins sub forum, you can take a look. The iridium started peeling as I removed the lens. Even on a pair that I never worn and stored in a cool and dry place.

Yours look like what happened when sunscreen touched my lenses. The costing just started peeling as I rinsed them under water. So I guess there was something on the lens when you stored them, or just simply a manufacturing defect.

If You wear contacs, have Your Optometrist send them off to X-Cel to have some glass Autumn Gold Transitions lenses installed. If You have perfect vision, just have plain glass Autumn Gold Transitions installed. They are a light Amber indoors, and a Dark Brown in bright sunlight. Autumn Golds will cost You over $400, but You're good forever. Between the Titanium and the Corning Glass, You'll never have another worry. My Autumn Golds are the best money I ever spent on eyewear. I know that You could go ahead and put 2 or 3 more pair of bubbly Loakley lenses, but Lux is doing something wrong on certain lenses, and I've seen it on Crosshairs before. Put the X-Cel Autumn Golds in, and You will be good for life with those sweet Crosshairs.

If You wear contacs, have Your Optometrist send them off to X-Cel to have some glass Autumn Gold Transitions lenses installed. If You have perfect vision, just have plain glass Autumn Gold Transitions installed. They are a light Amber indoors, and a Dark Brown in bright sunlight. Autumn Golds will cost You over $400, but You're good forever. Between the Titanium and the Corning Glass, You'll never have another worry. My Autumn Golds are the best money I ever spent on eyewear. I know that You could go ahead and put 2 or 3 more pair of bubbly Loakley lenses, but Lux is doing something wrong on certain lenses, and I've seen it on Crosshairs before. Put the X-Cel Autumn Golds in, and You will be good for life with those sweet Crosshairs.
Crosshairs?

Back