• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Flak Jacket XLJ bubbling and peeling

craig Thompson

Oakley Beginner
I bought these 3 years ago after losing mine. They weren't cheap, but I was very happy with my old ones, so got another one.

I rarely use them, only when outside for extended periods or on holiday. I use my cheap glasses for daily wear. I took them out of the case after 6 to 9 months and noticed bubbling on the inside. Which has progressed to the entire coating peeling off. Inside and out.

I'm on a trip in Myanmar now and stuck wearing them as is. I've contacted support and they say to call them. Not easy to do from here.

I've done some research and this seems to be a fairly wide spread problem. I've always kept my glasses extremely clean and always put them in the original case. Very frustrating after paying so much money.

Anybody else here have the same problem? Any suggestions on what to do? I'm hesitant to get replacement lenses as they are not cheap and might have the same problem again.

Thanks!

I highly doubt it just started all of a sudden after 3 years. It most likely started awhile ago and you are just noticing. For something that cost you anywhere from 13 to 19 cents a day to own, I would say your ROI has been pretty good.

Buy new lenses, or buy a different brand if you're not happy with them. There are multiple threads on this exact same topic so feel free to use the search function.

You say you are in a hot climate, I suspect you may have gotten sunscreen or sweat on the lens and did not clean them thereafter.

Be sure to at the very least rinse them off when exposed to sunscreen or sweat.

Whatever you replace them with, Oakley or something else, consider using a good pair for your daily use. You only get one chance with your eyes; use the best you can afford since you'll be looking through them so often.

I've taken extremely good care of these glasses. Always kept them clean, always in the case, and never use sunscreen. At least not on my face as i always wear a big hat. And keep them on a leash when wearing them.

I bought them for a trip to Patagonia. After the trip, put them in the case and didn't open them for a long time. I did notice a very small number of spots, but they weren't significant. So ignored them. Pulled them out for this trip and they were covered with spots. Not too bad, but they totally disintegrated a few days ago after a day in the rain. Both sides of the lenses bubbled and cracked off.

As for the value, having not worn them more than a few months over the past few year, it's not good. My $30 pair of Bolles are going strong 5 years on and I never clean them other than with my shirt! LOL.

My previous pair of Oakleys lasted 7 years with no problems. Unfortunately, I lost them at a pool in Thailand.

Even if a bit of sweat did get on them and not cleaned up, they shouldn't self destruct like this. Unacceptable for a premium brand.

P.S. my Bolle glasses are pretty good. UV protection and all. I do agree good glasses are critical to protect your eyes. I never go outside without sunglasses. Never.

Unacceptable for a premium brand.

Unfortunately, it is what it is at this point ... Peeling and bubbling is the MO with Oakley lenses when they're subjected to harsh weather and (possible) improper storage.

To deny it is futile, this has happened to literally hundreds of us on these forums ...

I think you should buy a new pair of Oakley Flak lenses and enjoy your pair for years to come.

If you're unsure about it, maybe a pair of aftermarket lenses will ease your wallets pain.

If not, maybe another brand will tickle your fancy.

Good Luck

I have Oaks that are over 20 years old yet have never experienced peeling or flaking, even after exposure to -35'C. to +40C. Three year old lenses should not be "done".
Give Oakley a chance to check 'em out. Don't worry until there's something to worry about.

Good post. But the comment this has happened to hundreds indicates a serious problem. Something that shouldn't happen to a premium brand. Right? A Cheap brand is understood.

Try to only buy quality goods as they tend to last a long time. Like North Face clothes. Expensive, but last forever.

I've taken extremely good care of these glasses. Always kept them clean, always in the case, and never use sunscreen. At least not on my face as i always wear a big hat. And keep them on a leash when wearing them.

I bought them for a trip to Patagonia. After the trip, put them in the case and didn't open them for a long time. I did notice a very small number of spots, but they weren't significant. So ignored them. Pulled them out for this trip and they were covered with spots. Not too bad, but they totally disintegrated a few days ago after a day in the rain. Both sides of the lenses bubbled and cracked off.

As for the value, having not worn them more than a few months over the past few year, it's not good. My $30 pair of Bolles are going strong 5 years on and I never clean them other than with my shirt! LOL.

My previous pair of Oakleys lasted 7 years with no problems. Unfortunately, I lost them at a pool in Thailand.

Even if a bit of sweat did get on them and not cleaned up, they shouldn't self destruct like this. Unacceptable for a premium brand.
The fact that they are spotting corroborates that they were contaminated, almost certainly with an oily substance.

Back